Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

how to remove ignition bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:43 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove ignition bracket?

I need to remove the ignition and ignition bracket from the steering column as its not used anymore. (racecar)

Has anyone done this?
Do I have to sawzall that little bastard off there?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:29 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the ignitions I have removed from other german cars have had two bolts on the top side that clamp a bracket down on to the column that holds the ignition. Usually the heads of the bolts are rounded off into little cones from the factory to keep people from tampering with them but I just cut slots into them with my dremel and turn them out with a screwdriver. Im not sure on the 944, I have looked at it from under the dash and it seems to be mounted pretty well up there. I would assume its something kind of like I said.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:33 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clark's Garage has a nice write up on ignition switch removal. Not sure it's what you're looking for but it might help you.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:39 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
Most of the ignitions I have removed from other german cars have had two bolts on the top side that clamp a bracket down on to the column that holds the ignition. Usually the heads of the bolts are rounded off into little cones from the factory to keep people from tampering with them but I just cut slots into them with my dremel and turn them out with a screwdriver. Im not sure on the 944, I have looked at it from under the dash and it seems to be mounted pretty well up there. I would assume its something kind of like I said.
You are the man!

951Porschiste: that is for a 944 which evidently had hex bolts. the 951 doesnt.

Quick Reply: how to remove ignition bracket?