Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MBC or no MBC???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:52 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MBC or no MBC???

The car: 86 951, APE Stage 2 chips and bursche test pipe.

The questions: I was going to install a tial wastegate, lindsey black **** boost controller, and remove the CV. I was looking to run 15psi with this setup. Is this set up safe? Do I need to add a 3bar FPR? When I talked to a local porsche shop, the owner said, "haha you'll be my new best friend, I've been in the market for a new boat." Meaning in his experience I will break something. Should I keep the CV valve? If so how much boost will I lose in the higher rpms? TIA
Old 07-02-2006, 01:14 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes go with a 3 bar FPR although APE chips in my experince do run rich. Get a good boost gauge so that you can dial in the boost correctly. A Tial wastegate is a great thing. Get the stainless adapter plates along with copper gaskets (although I am not running them with great sucess) and yes 15 PSI is doable easy.

Ignore the Mechanic as long as the engine is in good mechanical shape otherwise you should be fine.

IPSC
Old 07-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some Mechanics that work on Porsches think that anytime you do something not stock to the car that it will cost so much because everything else is going to break on the car. I really don't like mechanics like this because I look at them like they are just tring to get my money and not actually work on the car to fix what ever it is (that is when I even take my car in).
Old 07-02-2006, 01:49 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Do i need to worry about my chips leaning out in the higher rpms?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:58 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Do i need to worry about my chips leaning out in the higher rpms?
That depends on what your chipmaker recommends. If they are mapped for a particular psi and octane fuel I don't think I would push it past that without at least dynoing the car or using a wide band and AFR gauge. My old Welt chips ran lean on upper rpms but I think I was past their maximum boost by 1.5 psi.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:56 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Has anyone ran this set up with autothority chips?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

APE chips will not work well with that type of boost control setup. APE chips are designed to run with the jetted banjo bolt, which gives a big boost spike in the mid range, but the boost drops off at high rpm. So the chips are mapped to deliver a lot of fuel in the mid range to correspond with the boost, then proportionally decreasing the fuel delivery at higher rpms as the boost drops off.

If you use these chips with a tial WG and manual boost controller (which will give you a pretty flat boost curve), and a 3 bar FPR, you will be very rich in the mid range yet still potentially lean on the high end. You need to get a DME chip that has fuel maps for the boost curve you are trying to run.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:44 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'm going to wait to put the tial and MBC on until i get a vitesse chip.

Quick Reply: MBC or no MBC???