944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What race pads ???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006 | 08:43 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

I'm using these at the moment, havn't had any fade issues over 4-5 lap stints. They can squeal a bit on the street at times under light braking.

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/t0377.htm

NEW Pagid "S" or "Sport" - This is a high performance compound with good fading characteristics and high cold friction. The most comfortable medium friction sport compound. The Sport Pad is street legal, rotor friendly and OE on various Ferraris and Corvettes. PAGID "S" Brake Pads are dipped in a anti-corrosion blue paint, with a layer also on the friction surface. This paint coating will disintegrate during the first braking applications without any loss of friction compared to our other non-coated compounds. In addition a majority of the "S" Line come with anti-noise shims. The "S" compound is the PAGID RS 4-2-1.
Old 07-03-2006 | 12:47 PM
davyboy
Advanced

PFC 97 for me.

I get around 100 laps of the nurburgring from 1 set.

I get mine from Racers edge
Old 07-04-2006 | 07:23 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the imput. I shouldn't have used slang as burning up my brakes. Actually, I am surprised at the wear rate of the front KFP golds. They are close to being finished after 24 heat cycles or roughly 3.5 DE's.

I am not dragging the brakes and my threshold breaking I think is pretty good as my ride along instructors give me top marks. All cars are momentum cars and I don't use any more brake than I need. Interestingly, my camera allignment was way off for my last session at WGI and was pointed directly at the gauges. My entry speed into T-6 is 100-110 so as someone suggested using a little less brake is not an option for a downhill brake zone with a very late apex and wall 15 feet directly in front of you.

I have a rear brake bias valve installed and I highly reccomend if others have not done this. I have asked my mechanic/instructor about the cooling ducts. He wasn't impressed with the 951 design. Is the 968 design a direct fit for the 951's and do you have to cut the front bumper? I am going to look into the HT-10's ( I have heard more initially torque than the Orange) and Pagid orange and blacks. The other option is to stay with the KFP's and replace them every couple of events since they are inexpensive compared to the other choices and my rears are still OK. I'll let you know how things work out after the end of July RTR Glen event. Should be a solid field of drivers, anyone going??????????
Old 07-04-2006 | 08:00 PM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

I have some pagid orange pads for sale. They were used only once for a club run at Road Atlanta by my car's PO. I don't plan on tracking the car so I have no need for them. They have been off the car since that run and are in excellent condition. PM if interested.
Old 07-04-2006 | 11:44 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by a4944
I've been happy with Performance Friction 97 compound at instrutor level and time trial. They work well, hold up, and are less expensive than that Pagid pads. They were more digital than the Porterfield R4 that I tried first and which did not last. The PF97s do generate alot of heat, I put 968 brake cooling scoops on the car to solve that issue. Wheel weights kept falling off before that, even with aluminum tape.

Mark
How do you find the brake cooling scoops. I am going to have them fitted along with Padgid Blues ( I think). I've already had the lines replaced with braided stainless which have helped a fair bit.
Old 07-05-2006 | 12:05 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Originally Posted by renvagn
Interestingly, my camera allignment was way off for my last session at WGI and was pointed directly at the gauges. My entry speed into T-6 is 100-110 so as someone suggested using a little less brake is not an option for a downhill brake zone with a very late apex and wall 15 feet directly in front of you.
If you had a camera in the car, what were your lap times?
Old 07-05-2006 | 04:21 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Jimbo, times were best at 2.30 flat. Traffic never provided a clear track and their were some dangerously slow car in the 45 car field. I can't tell you the number of times we were 3 wide into T 1 and the bus stop. With only 16 cars in yellow several car should have been moved down to learn the track. The Cayanne Turbo-S was also impossible to see around. IMHO it shouldn't be out there. It was really an unsafe event despite no incidence occurring.

And while my soap box is out, at what bloody run group do people know how and when to give a proper signal. 1. At Pocono this past weekend,( full course-N and S clockwise) I had some clown give me 2 right side pass signals out of T-3. The only problem is you track out of 3 at the left and work back right, but since he was so off line he was already far right. Latter in the afternoon, myself and another car got a right then left signal. Maybe he was dyslexic??????

2. At what point do drivers begin checking there mirrors going into a corners???? It is almost comical watching the double take head movements and surprise of drivers as you suddenly appear on their bumper coming out of a corner. They don't get it that you have been there for 3-4 corners.

3. What is the ***** to the wall speeds first hitting the track for your runs. Do people not realize the need to warm the tires, brakes, engine, suspension and transmission???????? In march I enjoyed ( and my check off instructor) watching the dump *** I let pass me for his first run down the front straight at Summit end up 40 feet deep into the Kitty litter.

4. In white you should be able to make a pass any where in the corner. It may require more braking and going down an extra gear, but you don't have to always get back on the qualifying line. At the glen I had 3 ride along instructors and everyone of them was shocked at the way some drivers were chopping off drivers.

Well what are your thoughts and have you experienced similar events? As todays showroom cars get faster off the floor and easier to drive (red group car with green group heads and skills) maybe DEers need to be reminded it's all about braking, entry and exit out of the corners. There seems to be a growing group of drag racers out there who hall the mail down the straight and go to the supermarket thru the turns. IMHO they need to stay in green until they can consistantly execute the four points mentioned above. Wow I can skip my therapist visit this week.
Old 07-05-2006 | 06:41 PM
DrRon
Instructor

FYI we are running four cars (2 S2's, 2 turbo S racers), and all use Pagid Orange - last the longest, not too much fade (be sure to cool the disks and calipers), not a lot of dust (like Ferodo's). They like high temperature - when they start squealing, they are at the right temperature.

We tried Pagid Blue's (caught on fire), Blacks (not much bite), and Ferodo's (short-lived and much dust). We do mostly short races (30 mins), get about 12-14 hours of very heavy usage out of the fronts, double that for the rears.
Old 07-05-2006 | 08:07 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

renvagn,

Welcome to Wild-White!!!!

The first time I ran in White at The Glen, my best time was 2:36. Last time in white, my best time was 2:28. Last year (in Black) ran a 2:21.5.

Again, car is a "stock" 86 951. Main upgrade is Leda shock/struts.

1) Seen it. Been there.
2) Seen that too. I also like it when I've pass the same car 3 times on Friday & Saturday and on Sunday they're still thinking "Is that guy behind me faster than me? Should I give him a pass?".
3) Yup.
4) I'm not sure I agree with your statement "make a pass anywhere in the corner". If you mean that you should be able to make a pass and then enter it off-line (without "getting back on the line") then you are correct. IMHO, the pass should be completed before turn-in (some club say before braking zone) and not "anywhere in the corner".
Old 07-05-2006 | 08:09 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the additional input Dr. Ron. My mentor always ran the oranges on his Rothman's cup car.
Old 07-06-2006 | 10:48 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

" have some pagid orange pads for sale. They were used only once for a club run at Road Atlanta by my car's PO. I don't plan on tracking the car so I have no need for them. They have been off the car since that run and are in excellent condition. PM if interested."

Yes I am interested. Please get back to me.

Yes Jimbo you are correct. The idea behind point 4, was you shouldn't chop drivers to get back on line and should be able to take any line needed thru a turn. But I will tell you.........Passing in the turns at the NASA events is FUN!
Old 07-06-2006 | 11:56 AM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Pm sent.
Old 07-06-2006 | 12:37 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally Posted by renvagn
Jimbo, times were best at 2.30 flat. Traffic never provided a clear track and their were some dangerously slow car in the 45 car field. I can't tell you the number of times we were 3 wide into T 1 and the bus stop. With only 16 cars in yellow several car should have been moved down to learn the track. The Cayanne Turbo-S was also impossible to see around. IMHO it shouldn't be out there. It was really an unsafe event despite no incidence occurring.

Reisentoter region PCA?
Old 07-08-2006 | 09:16 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

"Reisentoter region PCA?"

Originalsterm can you elaborate on your point????????
Old 07-08-2006 | 12:34 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I've heard there is always TONS of cars on track with that region. So much so that is can be dangerous. On the Race/DE board I was told unless you run a specific time at WGI (~2:10 mark I believe) you cannot run in the higher groups at a DRIVER ED EVENT. That region holds a bunch of events in the NE, but I refuse to run with them for the reasons listed above.

Quick Reply: What race pads ???????