Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Started car after rebuild... smoke from exhaust(?)! please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Started car after rebuild... smoke from exhaust(?)! please help!

Ok I've done a few mods this winter; new turbo, new exhaust, MAF etc..

Today was the day I've dreaded since I started my project.. It was time to start the engine!! Luckily I actually did get the engine running on idle! But my fear started to submerge when I saw smoke coming up from the engine bay! Gack! I turned off the engine and tried to see where the smoke came from. It looked like it came from the exhaust.. My first thought was that there was an oil leak somewhere and that's what was causing the smoke. but I figured out that that most probably wasn't what was causing this. I started the engine once again and this time I was looking at the exhaust beneath the car while the car was running...

After a while the smoke came again.. I had the garage door open so it was kinda hard pin point the exact location of the smoke, but I think it was coming from the "crush dughnut" in between the cross over pipe and the pipe going to my tial wastegate (number 11 in the picture below). Could it be that the crush doughnut gets fryed and smoke or something? I'm not sure, but I don't think it's an exhaust leak since there smoke emerges when the engine is warm, not when it's cold.. Also the smoke is not pushed out, more like smoke on a fire that's slowly rising.. Also I think it should sound a lot if there's an exhaust leak... Any other ideas?? Thank you!!

Last edited by djungel-Jim; 06-26-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:17 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe your just burning off all the penetrating oil and such you used to break the bolts loose on the breakdown.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Synth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's my first guess as well, All the oil, grease, etc that got everywhere will take a while to completely burn off. just make nothing is leaking onto the floor and all your fluids and pressures look normal and drive it a bit. It should completely burn off after 100 miles or so, some stuff takes a while to completely burn off.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the answers guys - I hope I can calm down a bit now then I'll let the car run a couple of minutes when I've sorted out my A/F ratio problems and then hopefully the smoking will settle in time!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:06 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep a fire extinguisher nearby, in case... After my p-car's hibernation this winter past, it too smoked a bit on the first startup, just stuff that had sprayed onto exhaust components wilst cleaning the engine bay... no biggie.

G/L
Old 06-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Mine smoked like crazy on first fire up as well. You should run it long enough to bring the water and oil up to temp, if you did a full rebuild. Usually 2000-2500 RPM as well to bed in the new rings. By the time the oil is at temp and the rings seated, the smoke should be gone. If you have smoke OUT of the exhaust (from the tail pipe), you have an internal problem. I don't think that is the case given what you've said.

My header wrap smoked for a few weeks... as said above, some stuff just takes longer.

Congrats on getting it running!

Quick Reply: Started car after rebuild... smoke from exhaust(?)! please help!