Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Did anyone encounter this problem with the valve stem seals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:54 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Did anyone encounter this problem with the valve stem seals?

Cylinder head got a full rebuild, everything checked and double checked for wear limits and tolerances according to the manual.....new guides, refereshed valves, machined seats (and tested for leaks), adjusted springs etc.

Ever since the cylinder head rebuild, i have oil on spark plugs #1 and #2....i believe it is due to the valve stem seals....

I came accross this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/62791-valve-guide-seals-not-staying-on-valve-guides.html

I ordered new seals from Paragon (teflon), the seals currently on teh car are from Victor Reinz, supplied with the cylinder head gasket kit....

Should the seal really be glued on the guides? i was sure to seat them correctly, but looks like some came loose.....

TIA
Old 06-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Cylinder head got a full rebuild, everything checked and double checked for wear limits and tolerances according to the manual.....new guides, refereshed valves, machined seats (and tested for leaks), adjusted springs etc.

Ever since the cylinder head rebuild, i have oil on spark plugs #1 and #2....i believe it is due to the valve stem seals....

I came accross this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62791

I ordered new seals from Paragon (teflon), the seals currently on teh car are from Victor Reinz, supplied with the cylinder head gasket kit....

Should the seal really be glued on the guides? i was sure to seat them correctly, but looks like some came loose.....

TIA
This may sound like a stupid question but is there anyway to check before installing the head? I have not yet installed my new re-built head and was wondering if there was a way to check to make sure the valve seals where installed correctly?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:14 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Buck,
In my case, all spak plugs were dry before i removed the cylinder head. Now, plugs 1 & 2 are covered in oil, that link in the archives backed me out and i talked to a couple of vendors on this.

I would wait untill someone informs if any glue is needed or not.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:59 PM
eospeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I glued mine with aviaton sealer because when I took it apart 1 had come off
Old 06-23-2006, 07:20 PM
AlexE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Buck,
In my case, all spak plugs were dry before i removed the cylinder head. Now, plugs 1 & 2 are covered in oil, that link in the archives backed me out and i talked to a couple of vendors on this.

I would wait untill someone informs if any glue is needed or not.
YES. This happens.

I always glue them now.

The factory ones I have replaced have all been glued. I have seen some stems that are smooth and some that have teeth on them. Most stems that are used now have nice grooves cut into them that allows the seal to bite in to.

Either way ....I glue just to be safe.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

What did you use?

Quick Reply: Did anyone encounter this problem with the valve stem seals?