Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sluggish starter motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sluggish starter motor

I recently removed my starter motor to do some work on the car. After reinstalling the starter I noticed that I had intermittent starting issues. The car will usually start when cold although it sounds like the battery is dying. After it gets warmed up, if I turn it off and try to start, the starter sounds like its not getting enough juice.

I checked the battery, with the car off, and it puts out 12-13 v and when the car is running I disconnect the positive terminal and check the wires to see if the alternator is charging. The alt puts out 13v. So I guess the alternator is ok. I get my other car and place jumpers on its battery and connect the other end of the jumpers to just the Porsches battery cables that are disconnected from the battery, and I get the same sluggish starter motor with no start.

Once, while keeping the key turned listening to the motor barely turn over, the starter seemed to break free and crank over normally.

I was going to start by checking the starter wires but I figured I would post about it on RL to see if anyone has some suggestions.

Anyone?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
jacklet
Racer

check your grounds and pos cables these cars are notorious for probs in those 2 areas-make sure the starter to block mtg surfaces are clean
Old 06-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Where are the grounds located?

I know of one on the top of the bell housing. The wires and terminals on the battery are cleaned and sanded a bit to make better contact.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:34 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I had slow starting and after a few months starter solenoid went. Bought a new starter at advance auto for $87 including tax and car starts within a crank now

Quick Reply: Sluggish starter motor