Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Timing Belt Installatiion Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
sparkyman215
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Installatiion Help

Couldn't find anything on a search to help. I'm changing the timing belt on an 1986 944 Turbo. I have installed new water pump and cleaned everything up. The new timing belt seems impossibly short. Like about an inch. I sized the new belt with the old and they are identical. I have a second belt and they are all the same in length. I didn't have a great problem getting it off but going back on is another thing.

I have the crankshaft locked in TDC. I tried removing all belt tensioning gears and it still doesn't fit. I know this are going to be snug but this seems excessive.

I need a belt coach. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your response, Tony.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:25 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

You must have it routed wrong, it should be pretty loose with all the tensioners, etc. off. Did you pull the balance belt as well?

Take a look at http://www.clarks-garage.com/ under 'Camshaft (Timing) Belt and Balance Belt Tensioning', there's a diagram there that shows how the belt should be routed.

My guess is that you have it on the balance belt drive gear (at the bottom, coming off the crank) which has a much larger diameter than the timing belt drive gear.

Post a pic or two if you can, I'm sure we can diagnose it for you.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:47 PM
sparkyman215
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, you are abosolutely right. I looked at Clark's again and there it was. Must have been too many hours in the SC sun today. My mind had a melt down. Usually I not that dense. This is a father/son project car and Dad kinda blew it on this one. Anyway Dads can make mistakes occasionally.

I have both the Kricket and the new belt tighten gage from ArnnWorx. I'm interested in how I do with them. Obviously this is my first time in the front end of the worlds fastest production four cylinder engine.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:07 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Good deal, always happy when it's an easy fix. I've got the older style ArnnWorx tensioning tool, please let us/me know how it goes with the dial gauge.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Installatiion Help