Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

STONE GUARD REMOVAL: A SAFER PROCESS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth3033
I had some hard times yesterday with the stone gaurd removal...I used a hair dryer to heat them up and a soft putty knife to lift it up..The ones located in the wheel wells were not a problem however the square shaped ones(which might I add had the most damage...very yellow and cracked) were a real bitch to do. They didnt come off easy at all and left extreme residue along with taking off some of the clear coat on the paint and even some of that ruffer surface on the bottom of the 944s. I really do think it is because those things were 18 years old and just in bad shape. So i would recommend that anyone who sees that they are becoming old to remove them right away....as for potent951turbo86 heres the link of the auction i bought my new ones on they are the same thickness as 3m and come with lifetime warranty http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I may actaully not use them and end up selling them so if anyone is interested let me know
Thanks for the heads up as I was going to let mine go a while longer
Are these pre cut ? I may be interested in your set PM me
Thanks
Ed
Old 06-11-2006, 06:34 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Mine were probably two years old and still mallable. I was able to pull it up with my fingernail and pulled directly agains the side of the car very, very slowly. I was sure to heat the car and material attached material well before attempting this. Also, if you leave this material unchecked for many years, I don't want to think about how hard it would be to remove. Another reason to replace every three or so years. I was stunned to see how yellow they had become once I had them off and could hold them up to the light.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Back when I did them on my 83 I also used a hair drier, plastic scraper, and "goop-off" solvent, but it was still a bear to get those gobs of adhesive off the finish.

I'll try the wax tip next time!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:06 PM
bigred1001
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am almost done getting all the adhesive residue off. I used heat gun, but constantly moved it around to not generate hot spots. The left over adhesive is a B%$CH. Goo Gone is useless. I am using 3m adhesive remover and a plastic scraper to get the snot-like stuff off, then the remover and an eraser to get the last layer off. It works ok, although probably killing alot of brain cells.

One question
Should you wax that area before installing new guards, or will that make the new guards not adhere properly?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this will be my project for today.

Anyone know how to remove the porsche sticker above the bumper??
Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM
EdC
Pro

This company offers complete and partial film kits for the front as well as for the fender lips and lower rear quarters.
http://www.stongard.com/shoponline.aspx

Also check out the same items in www.autoatlanta.com. Look in the section "Porsche Accessory Body". Or search in that section under "Stongard". Tons of other interesting items as well.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:29 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- Heat gun.
- Plastic scraper.
- Stripe Eraser, drill mounted eraser disk.

Easy peasey.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:41 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bigred1001
One question
Should you wax that area before installing new guards, or will that make the new guards not adhere properly?
I'm also curious if there's some sort of cleaner or wax that you can/should use and still be able to stick the stone gaurds back on.

Quick Reply: STONE GUARD REMOVAL: A SAFER PROCESS!