Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 V8 Beast - Video (a few little teaser clips...)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006 | 03:47 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

jesus i need 35k to buy tonys car.

That sound on that car looks and sounds freaking insane!!!

On second though you want to be generous tony and just gimme the car??? Maybe a trade for my current 944 turbo so you can do another project???? I could give you my car(has the factory LSD transmission) and a couple grand for yours!!!!!! PLEASE!!?!!?
Old 06-02-2006 | 04:14 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPR
This is my friend's LS6 powered 944 turbo. Around Homested it only a hair slower than full race GT3R's, and it still has the interior and a/c. The sound as it goes by the granstand in itself is worth going to the track to hear.

Jpr
Jeezzz
In my life I never thought I would see a 944 with a wheel up ....
I have seen it many times in a 911 but always accounted for that being the engine was in the rear ......
That car really looks bad *** !!!
Both cars look great I think I like the headlights a bit more on JPR's friends.... He also has some very small wheels on the rear
Awesome cars .....
Old 06-02-2006 | 04:43 PM
Chas
Pro

JPR that car looks WICKED!!!

And tony, awesome job, that car definitely seems like it has 35k of parts in it...i know how you like to build up your cars

JPR, do you have videos and more pics???
Old 06-02-2006 | 05:36 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

quick question- is there any room for a centrifugal supercharger on these conversions?

from what i've seen, they dont take much room, except maybe in piping, but is there room in the front there?
Old 06-02-2006 | 05:45 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPR
This is my friend's LS6 powered 944 turbo. Around Homested it only a hair slower than full race GT3R's, and it still has the interior and a/c. The sound as it goes by the granstand in itself is worth going to the track to hear.

Jpr
That is one of the sickest cars I have ever seen.
Old 06-02-2006 | 05:47 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95Juan
quick question- is there any room for a centrifugal supercharger on these conversions?

from what i've seen, they dont take much room, except maybe in piping, but is there room in the front there?
The whipple charger by Magnacharger or the Procharger STS turbo look like they would clear. That would probably put the car in the 10's if the tranny would hold up and you could get it to hook up
Old 06-02-2006 | 06:51 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

JPR

What lap times is your friend running in his car at Homsted?

TonyG
Old 06-02-2006 | 07:35 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
The whipple charger by Magnacharger or the Procharger STS turbo look like they would clear. That would probably put the car in the 10's if the tranny would hold up and you could get it to hook up
One of my friends with a LS1 FC RX-7 ran mid around 11.2/127mph without bottle. He has been in the 10s with a 75 shot. His car has moderate heads and cam. I think his car weighed around 2800lbs with 1/2 tank and no driver.

For about $3k-4k in heads and cams you can be at an easy 400-450whp with unbelieveable area under the curve.

Anyway, the car is crazy. These 944LS1s must be crazy as well.
Old 06-02-2006 | 09:33 PM
JPR
Racer

Last I saw were 1:37's (on victoracers)he runs a GT3R ((996 type )on slicks) and does 1:34's. 1:37's would have been good enough to qualify in the midpack in the last ferrari channge race held a couple of months ago. The latest German performance car ( a dedicated 944 racer with full cage and LS2, ledas....everything) qualified on pole for the 12hrs SCCA race last month but retired with an electrical problem that ended up being a chafed crank sensor wire. In 14 laps it had about a 20 sec lead on the field.

Jpr

Originally Posted by TonyG
JPR

What lap times is your friend running in his car at Homsted?

TonyG
Old 06-02-2006 | 11:36 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Tony,

Well done.

I have most every option you have on my 944LS1 conversion, BUT - the power brake set up. I can attest that if you pay retail for all of that stuff that it can be pretty expensive. $35K is not out of reach when you start with a very good 951 donor car for sure. Anyhow, nice work. Car looks great.

I am going to the dyno with mine tomorrow to get a base-line before adding 7 PSI of boost via a SUPERCHARGER. I however am "only" expecting 400 crank HP N/A. Some people are like "... What the? Is 400HP not enough???"

I answer with an resounding "Heck No!.. It's a V8 944 for cripes sakes. More please."
Old 06-03-2006 | 09:29 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael B.
Tony,

Well done.

I have most every option you have on my 944LS1 conversion, BUT - the power brake set up. I can attest that if you pay retail for all of that stuff that it can be pretty expensive. $35K is not out of reach when you start with a very good 951 donor car for sure. Anyhow, nice work. Car looks great.

I am going to the dyno with mine tomorrow to get a base-line before adding 7 PSI of boost via a SUPERCHARGER. I however am "only" expecting 400 crank HP N/A. Some people are like "... What the? Is 400HP not enough???"

I answer with an resounding "Heck No!.. It's a V8 944 for cripes sakes. More please."
Michael-

Why would you go to the trouble of a supercharger if your goals are 400 crank? You can achieve that with heads and cams. It could even keep a pretty docile (well, semi docile) idle.
Old 06-03-2006 | 03:01 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by macnewma
Michael-

Why would you go to the trouble of a supercharger if your goals are 400 crank? You can achieve that with heads and cams. It could even keep a pretty docile (well, semi docile) idle.
Hmmmm...

Why? Well, the "wow factor" is a big thing with stuff like this. Going over the top is what a car like this is about right? Actually, I ran the dyno today, and I am right about 400 @ the crank now... And its just not enough. So... Easy route = bolt on a blower, get 400 @ the wheels.

But, my dyno shop guy tells me that 500 N/A @ the crank is only a better cam & super heads away. AND, as I am sure your aware, there is just NOTHING a guy has to dink with, or worry about (like you may get with a blower). So... I dunno. I may just go your route as it may be a better choice for a road racing setup anyhow.

Here is the LS1 chart. Assuming a 15% driveline loss I am seeing 380 HP & 400 TQ @ the crank today.
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2006 | 03:39 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

What a horrible torque curve!

j/k
Nice!
Old 06-03-2006 | 08:21 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael B.
Hmmmm...

Why? Well, the "wow factor" is a big thing with stuff like this. Going over the top is what a car like this is about right? Actually, I ran the dyno today, and I am right about 400 @ the crank now... And its just not enough. So... Easy route = bolt on a blower, get 400 @ the wheels.

But, my dyno shop guy tells me that 500 N/A @ the crank is only a better cam & super heads away. AND, as I am sure your aware, there is just NOTHING a guy has to dink with, or worry about (like you may get with a blower). So... I dunno. I may just go your route as it may be a better choice for a road racing setup anyhow.

Here is the LS1 chart. Assuming a 15% driveline loss I am seeing 380 HP & 400 TQ @ the crank today.

I was just curious. A little supercharger whine would be fun too. A better cam, intake, heads and a very well designed exhaust is brutal with a LSx motor. Might as well just put the supercharger on top of that. You would certainly test the limits of the transaxle pretty well.

We definitely need to meet up.
Old 06-03-2006 | 09:09 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
What a horrible torque curve!

j/k
Nice!

What curve? All i see is a straight line the whole way

Quick Reply: 944 V8 Beast - Video (a few little teaser clips...)