Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Large Turbo without MBC or EBC???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

You can jet the banjo bolt like Autothority did -- I'm sure you could get 18 with the right jet, although it trails off toward redline.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:37 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom has some good ideals. HR used to make a "cheater" turbo like what toms talking about, not sure if it was a 50trim thou.

If you could make it work that way, it woud be sweet. I'd opt for a #8 hotside, that'll get you to 300rwhp.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:19 AM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben, there are a lot of ways to install the parts you need to correctly make 310rwhp without "hacking" the car. That being said, I don't think anyone makes a chip that will raise the boost to 16-17psi without the use of some sort of aftermarket boost controller. I don't think that the software in the KLR is capable. However, don't quote me on that. I am using a "cheater" turbo that is built from the stock k26/8. The stock compressor housing is machined to accept a larger compressor wheel. This is what jimbo1111 is talking about. I had mine done at Majestic, but I would not recommend them to my worst enemy. They really screwed me over when the turbo they built failed after only 8 months of use. Anyway, most good turbo builders can do it. I would probably look up Turbonetics. A boost controller can be mounted in a stealth location. I have mine (old school Greddy Profec B) located under the header panel next to the intercooler. I ran the vac hoses next to the intercooler piping and the wiring runs under the intake manifold. You just need to be creative. The Profec controller is mounted in the glove box. I never have to touch it. I "set it and forget it". Unless your w/g is in perfect condition, you will probably need a Tial. No hacking there, just bolt on. If you upgrade the turbo, the intake will have to come off and that is when you can delete the c/v. Really, I don't see any of this as hacking. You can always put it back to stock if you have to. If I were you, I wouldn't try to take short cuts. That is when you run into problems with reliability and performance. There really is a formula that most 951 guys have worked out for making bigger rwhp. Anything other than that and you're asking for trouble.

Ian
Old 06-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

why not just set boost via a wg spring. if you get a tial with 15 psi springs, the car will always run 15 psi with NO boost control.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I thought ProMax had the type of chips you are looking for....able to raise the boost without a boost controller........
Old 06-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

I think I need to get a LSD to deal with my current hp first, my first track day was Friday with the Ferrari club and I was spinning the rear tire at about 65 mph coming out of the corners in third.
I am strongly considering just upgrading to turbo S specs, my current setup with the Autothority chips, and possibly smaller jet in the Banjo bolt had me running with Ferrari 360s on the straight.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:44 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Ben, does this MAF install look "factory" enough for you?

Old 06-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

John,
We will be speaking in the near future.
I like it!!!!!
If I ever sell this 951 I will let you get to it before Scott has a chance!!!!
I need to talk to you and Terry to set up a game plan for this car. My lack of limited slip might delayf my hp plans because the car cannot current handle my current hp with the open diff.
Vitesse will definitely be my tuner with this car, I was quite happy with what you and Terry did with my last 951.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:08 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Ben, At least I have a part off of your old car, the LSD tranny
Old 06-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

I WANT MY TRANNY BACK!!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:47 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

lol or is that mwhahahahha!

I was wondering how long it would take you to get back in a 951. Welcome back! Yeah, John got the tranny out of your car because I went with a Kevin Gross built LSD tranny with a S2 ring and pinion, hardened input shaft etc... [Evil grin!] If you really want to have some fun with your car, thats what I would suggest you do first. Its unbelievable how much better the S2 r&p is suited for our cars. That, a cat delete (I went with a 3" Lindsey full exhaust, but its not really needed for a K26/6 imo)along with a Lindsey Clubsport wastegate and a set of chips from John, ought to get you enough hp that you won't need any more to hang with the track crowd. For a matter of reference, I have to turn the boost DOWN to 12psi to keep the wheelspin in check on the track. I might lose a bit down the longer straight but I was keeping up with a Z06 (badged as a Z07!) down the straight last time at the track, and the Viper in my run group wasn't embarassing me either (and I was nice and waved as I passed him when he went farming... hehehe).

And tell John not to worry, I won't be buying this one from you, as I am completely happy with the last one and have no plans to get rid of it! Its got the 968 mirrors and body colored spoiler on it, plus Fikses, and I can't imagine anything looking better in my garage.

Dyno-wise, which gear do you want results for? At 15psi, I was putting down 247/275 to the rear wheels in third, so tt was about dead on for 18psi. I don't run my boost that high, so I'll just have to guess. Either way, its fast enough that I have no plans to upgrade anything else except my brakes for a while (I have a M030 spindle/hub/caliper set up sitting on the bench right now that will be installed shortly).

Regards,

Last edited by User 41221; 06-05-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercedesben
The car I have purchased is a 1987 with 68k miles, and is in showroom condition. It is so nice I almost do not want to track it!!!

I want to preserve this car, but I would like to do some subtle upgrades. <snip> I would like to keep the vehicle stock in apperance meaning no MAF or boost gauge or mbc.
I know what you mean about wanting to keep the car stock in appearance. I've had my 951 for 5 years and haven't had the heart to modify it at all.

Rennlister Tommye (also a 951 cab owner) has done some nice "improvements" to his car you may want to look into always keeping in stock appearance, although they may fall somewhat short of your expectations. He basically has VR chips, a 3.0 bar FPR, and an LBE in lieu of canceling the Cycling Valve.

I'm thinking of going that route, myself, but am curious about the "stealth" pic John has posted to this thread. Pray, tell us what's inside, John!

It should be interesting to see what you end up doing to your 87, given that you've already "hacked" a 951 before with the typical MAF mods and now have a new challenge in keeping this car looking stock. Keep us posted!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Scott,
I am happy to be back, my first mod was a set of fikse fm10s the wheels will be on shortly, my car just got sick it sounds like a 747 flying overhead and like there is a bag of change under the hood. The car is in the shop, while it is there I will have the belts and wp done. I cannot wait to get it home to put the fikses on! Pics will follow!

Quick Reply: Large Turbo without MBC or EBC???????