Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice on New Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smarlow2
I have been looking at the new NASA driver's ed and Time Attack program in AZ and it looks pretty interesting for getting some regular track time. I'll be joining the local PCA chapter here but it doesn't look like they do much if any DE stuff during the summer. Can't say I blame them, the heat is one of the reasons I have been going to MN. I don't have the time, money or experience yet for door to door racing, even in Spec 944 but it looks like alot of fun. Great looking car by the way!
I am a NASA and PCA Certified Instructor. Both orgs run nice events. PCA is alot more laid back and has more a family atmosphere. NASA is more business like, but also good. Just about all the track group shut down over the summer. Kind of hard when it is going to be 110 to want to do a track day. Come winter time you can be out at the track every weekend if you do track days with all the groups that over them.

The local PCA has a nice DE program of about 5-6 days per year and about 8 autocrosses per year. They are very welcoming to 944 drivers. In fact the club president has a 964 targa, 89 951, and 87 944 spec car. When ever I see him he always gives me a hard time because he says I am the reason he has his 951. A few years ago I gave him a ride in my 88 S when we did one of our PCA street drivers. He got hooked on the 951 after that and got his own.

Any since PCA does only a few DE's year it is nice to hook up with another group if you want more track time. NASA is pretty nice to do that with.

Now if you are interested in getting serious on the track I can help you out with 944 spec answers. While I love my stock 88 S on the street it does not come close to the fun that my 84 944 Spec car provides on the track.

The down side is my spec car would make one crappy street car.

Quick Reply: Advice on New Car