Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SoCal head work

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Tb311
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SoCal head work

Ok well it looks like I need to remove my engine to get my exhaust stud fixed so I was thinking of also getting some head work done. Does anyone know any good shops around SoCal to get the job done? I tried calling Anderson Motorworks but they havent been picking up theyre phones or answering their emails. If there are no other shops I guess I'm taking the car back to Vision Motorsports then.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I would think Anderson is a bad idea. I know a guy personally tho is a partner of Alaniz, they have their **** down for Honda and what not, dunno what he'll tell you about your head, but you can give him a call.
I had my headwork done by Danno, but thats not a route I would recomend.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:37 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tb311

PM me and I'll see if I can get you setup with a good shop in So Cal using a N/A head. :-)

TonyG
Old 05-25-2006, 05:04 AM
roadrunner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I would think Anderson is a bad idea. I know a guy personally tho is a partner of Alaniz, they have their **** down for Honda and what not, dunno what he'll tell you about your head, but you can give him a call.
I had my headwork done by Danno, but thats not a route I would recomend.
Eyal,

I agree with you on Joe Alaniz's work, he did a great job on my GSR. With his main work going to road racing, he understands how to optimize powerbands and build for all day reliability. Maybe he could be convinced that there would be a decent market out there and would take a chance on a couple cores to study.

-Jay
Old 05-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roadrunner
Eyal,

I agree with you on Joe Alaniz's work, he did a great job on my GSR. With his main work going to road racing, he understands how to optimize powerbands and build for all day reliability. Maybe he could be convinced that there would be a decent market out there and would take a chance on a couple cores to study.

-Jay
I asked him if I could get him a 944 core, would he mess with it, and he said he would. I had a core I was going to give him, but some guy offered me 50 bucks for it, and well...
Have you seen Charlestons chassis stuff from ASR? His rear subframe brace and sway bar is a very good product, and you know its quality.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:10 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Here's the deal

I need a 944 N/A core with valvetrain, and a 951 intake manifold.

We're going to be doing some testing to basically build the equivalent of the JME head and intake that I had on my previous car (the one cut into 3 pieces, ported, and welded back together).

I'm not going to screw around with larger vavles. This is a stock valve project (which will make more than enough power anyway).

Once I get the core pieces, I'll get firm prices on exactly what it will cost for a fully ported N/A cylinder head and ported intake manifold, flow tested with spec sheet will cost.

After this, you would take your ported head in and it serviced just like you would with any other head (valve job, guides, valve seats, etc...)

To even mess with this... there needs to be a few people that want it.

Let me know and I'll put the deal together for you guys.

"rough" estimated price range: $1000-$1500

Combine the cylinder head, intake manifold, with a good cam, and you've got a good 50RWHP gain on a 2.5L.

TonyG
Old 05-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

1000 to 1500 is a good deal Tony. I paid in that range for my work from danno, and I sure *** hell didn't get the kind of work your talking about. How much for opening up the intake manifold only?
On a side note, I hear Mustang throttle bodies fit on our cars, Does anyone thing there is use for a 60mm TB?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:19 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Eyal 951

The prices are only an estimate. I'll know further once I scrounge up the junk head and intake manifold (need flow test them, then cut them up into pieces...), to get the price nailed down.

Don't know anything about the mustang throttle bodies. But they probably won't make much difference without the cylinder head and intake manifold work...

TonyG
Old 05-25-2006, 03:20 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think the TB was a restriction on these engines, at least not with mild head work and stock displacement?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

just a thought guys

Tony, would you be able to do my intake manifold only?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

I use WEST COAST RACING CYLINDER HEADS in Reseda. 818-705-5454. They don't work on anything but cylinder heads. I recently got two heads back from them, one o-ringed for the track car spare and one stock.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Eyal 951

>>>Tony, would you be able to do my intake manifold only?<<<

Yes... but not for a while.

TonyG

Quick Reply: SoCal head work