Lindsey 3 pic cross member NOT X OVER PIPE

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Lindsey 3 pic cross member NOT X OVER PIPE

Hey Guys

I called them but the were backed up until Mon ??
I was looking at getting one, so I was wondering,
could anyone please tell me:

Are all( 86-89) 951 X members interchangable ?

Do they re-paint, re-finish, shine or bead blast them when they finish cutting them in 3 ?

Other tips appreciated and welcome as to doing this
TIA
Regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand this purchase. By the time you remove the four bolts and nuts and the time it takes reassembling it, there really isn't any time savings in my experience. All you need to do is drop the four crossmember bolts, the four control arm support bolts and the four engine mount bolts then just let the crossmember hang by the tie rods and control arms. There is plenty of room to do the rest and you have no expense.

Just curious.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:07 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Chris not sure how you plan on letting everything hang. But the 3 piece crossmember is extremely helpful for doing oil panel gaskets.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:35 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine still looks like that pic a year later, the advantages of having this have been covered in other threads.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
I don't understand this purchase. By the time you remove the four bolts and nuts and the time it takes reassembling it, there really isn't any time savings in my experience. All you need to do is drop the four crossmember bolts, the four control arm support bolts and the four engine mount bolts then just let the crossmember hang by the tie rods and control arms. There is plenty of room to do the rest and you have no expense.

Just curious.
Hey Chris
Actually, I was going to pick up one from a fellow Rennlister, then have it sent to Lindsey and then replace my existing one with the 3 piece. I have the car pulled apart from a turbo replacement so the pipes are all off the car ( headers crossover and cat back ) I was only doing this because I had seen a very small amount of oil on the header side, of the oil pan, where the gasket is. The car only has 43k miles on it [BTW I use(d) Mobil One which could very likely be the cause? ]
So, I figured this could be small insurance if that oil pan gasket goes south on me ?
Sanity check here please....
Regards
Ed

ps These suckers aren't cheap 300 smackers

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 05-20-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:04 AM
jacklet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how often do you plan on doing rod bearings and oil pan gasket replacement? that's about the only benefit
Old 05-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I have done this many times. A couple of times with the 3 piece crossmember. Of those 3 times, only the first time did I remove the center section. It was a waste of time IMO. Just drop the crossmember and be done with it.

I really don't see the point. The hassle you have trying to reinstall the freakin thing, turning some of the bolts an 1/8 of a turn at a time just is not worth it. I think this is a case of making a part then finding a reason to sell it.

Quick Reply: Lindsey 3 pic cross member NOT X OVER PIPE