Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

I'll get a better shot..
Old 05-17-2006 | 08:24 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

You should have some paint on there so you can quickly determine if the nut is backing off. Wonder if the builder was smoking crack that day, grabbed the wrong nut, and forgot to finish?
Old 05-17-2006 | 08:37 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

After cleaning the soft locktite out.. bad to worse.

I called and Bob is out, but these will be waiting in his mail box. And I have one month till SATL.

Last edited by ibkevin; 08-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2006 | 08:58 PM
MM951
Race Director

no turbo expert, but looking at the 14b I have in my garage ....shouldn't the "stud" where the nut is on be sticking out or at least flush with the nut?
Old 05-17-2006 | 09:20 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ibkevin
After cleaning the soft locktite out.. bad to worse.

I called and Bob is out, but these will be waiting in his mail box. And I have one month till SATL.

Kevin, wait until you have 2 or 3 opinions from the experts. I am not one of them , but I would not install that in my car without a 2nd opinion
Old 05-17-2006 | 09:26 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

First, thanks JB for bringing this to light

God mother*ucking damnit!!! Now do I waste the *ucking $30 crush ring that I have no replacement for or trash the $40 worth of glass cloth I wrapped the *ucking turbo and downpipe with in order to get this son of a bitch fixed? Could I waste some more mother*ucking time on this???

On top of it, this jack off called me back and admits that *ucked turbines were sent out! It's not his busted up knuckles doing the work! *UCK!!

It's too bad, bob is a likable guy and I had swept my turbo's original shipping date had been delayed three weeks while he waited for parts under the rug to defend his "experienced" status. Cat's outta the bag now bob, I'll toss a grenade every chance I get.
Old 05-17-2006 | 09:42 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ibkevin
First, thanks JB for bringing this to light

God mother*ucking damnit!!! Now do I waste the *ucking $30 crush ring that I have no replacement for or trash the $40 worth of glass cloth I wrapped the *ucking turbo and downpipe with in order to get this son of a bitch fixed? Could I waste some more mother*ucking time on this???

On top of it, this jack off called me back and admits that *ucked turbines were sent out! It's not his busted up knuckles doing the work! *UCK!!

It's too bad, bob is a likable guy and I had swept my turbo's original shipping date had been delayed three weeks while he waited for parts under the rug to defend his "experienced" status. Cat's outta the bag now bob, I'll toss a grenade every chance I get.
That would upset me so much too. So the turbo is allready installed, damn that sucks.
Old 05-17-2006 | 09:56 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a similar experience to JBrown's. I thought that mine was just an aberration but apparently not. First turbo threw the nut w/in the first couple of miles. Called Bob, sent it back, got a new one withing 10 days. About 300 miles after rebuild #2 was installed it blew the seals in the turbo because apparently they didn't really rebuild & balance it, just replaced the nut (which stayed on this time). Try #3 has been fine for the past 5 months (knocking on wood), it was a completely new/different turbo.

Through it all Bob was good to deal with, never pointed fingers, etc. He was not as responsive as I'd have liked him to have been and of course I was pretty frustrated at my new found expertise in turbo removal/replacement.

It is really disheartening to hear that others are having the same issues
Old 05-17-2006 | 09:56 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I just had a look at the nut on my k26/8, and you can see the shaft come out past the nut a little.
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:23 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Thanks for:

stalling the entire project another week- nothing can happen until the turbo is in
while my car sits on stands in the driveway another week
adding another Benjamin to the expense- replacing crushed rings, shipping, etc.

bob doesn't have the parts on hand to fix this! This is going to be a fun ride...

Actually Greg, it's good this came to light, anyone taking they're business there is just asking for a sharp stick in the eye
Old 05-18-2006 | 02:28 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Man it sucks hearing this stuff. I recently had a turbo built by Bob - hope its ok! (Not yet installed.) It came minus watercooling which I decided isn't a bad thing for me...but then he accidently got me and another order messed up and sent my turbo out where I had to pay shipping upon delivery (like $58 bucks) after I had already paid shipping charges. I ended up getting about $30 of the $58 back and didnt even bother with the rest, I just dont have the patience...

Old 05-18-2006 | 02:38 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

this is my old SFR stg I T04b
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2006 | 02:52 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

SamGrant951 & ibkevin

Your compressor, based on the 1 picture, doesn't look to have the same problem as the compressor above. I think, again... based on your 1 picture, that you're OK to proceed.

Knowing Bob, I just can't believe that he would release compressors like the ones above (not yours). Something must be up. I'll get to the bottom of it.

Probably some kid in the back that did ibkevin's compressor 'cause it's total rookie screwup. And the thing is... there's no money to be saved by this type of mistake.

He'll have some explaining to do for sure. You can bet I'll be on the phone with him tomorrow.

This type of crap burns me up.

TonyG
Old 05-18-2006 | 10:01 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Sam, your mix up was when i was going thru my mess. I told Bob to over nite my turbo. I did not get it and he said he charged and sent the turbo to the wrong guy. He also told me that he had to call all the people he recently sold K27/6 to. They were all built wrong.
Old 05-18-2006 | 11:54 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Ha! Small world JBrown Thanks for the reassurance Tony, again I think he was fine to deal with. Everyone makes mistakes, just dont like to see threads about his shop before installing a brand new turbo!!

Quick Reply: TURBO-PERFORMANCE(BAD)