Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone strip a front fascia before??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:02 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone strip a front fascia before??

Repainting the nose and front fascia

Anyone have a good technique for stripping the paint on the plastic front end so I can do this right?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:41 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too would like to know.

I thought about going with sand blasting.....
Old 05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Drive through a sandstorm at high speed?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Don't take this on yourself. I would recommend taking it to a bumper recycler. They usually just media blast the damaged areas, repair and then coat with a waterborne primer. Even stripper recommended for urethanes will soak into your bumper. I don't think any of the recyclers in my area use stripper anymore as some bumpers would warp badly once submerged. Further, nothing will stick as well as factory paint to a urethane bumper. It is almost always best to repair the damaged areas and prime/paint over the existing finish. Are you stripping do to a failing finish or just to be thorough?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:01 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
Are you stripping do to a failing finish or just to be thorough?

Thanks for the info. It has like three failing finishes, one Zermatt Silver, One Black and the other....stonechip gray.... portions of the black are flaking off and I wanted to add brake ducts and a second oil cooler so I thought I'd just get her all done at once. It's for track use so I'm gonna beat the living **** out of it once it's done (assuming the wife let's me go to the track again...)

Do you know what media they are using? corn cob, glass, walnut shell, baking soda? Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

No idea, but I'll try to find out for you. Have you tried just using high pressure air? If it was prepped that poorly before you might get lucky and blow most of it off. I would probably then just d.a. the rest. You'll have to prime the crap out of it though because sanded plastic will fuzz up on you. Being a track car, if it sits for long periods on asphalt in the sun the remaining stripper(if you strip it) will cook out and lift the paint. Then again its a little warmer here than Mn.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
buxton
Racer

The best way to strip it is with baking soda. I had my own business doing this for body shops. The baking soda is excellent for stripping the whole car. It does not affect glass or chrome either. In fact, I could hold an empty pop can in my hand and strip off the paint without damaging the alum. If you need more info. you can PM me.

Quick Reply: Anyone strip a front fascia before??