Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Castrol 20w-50, STP oil filter and low oil level light....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Ty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dal... I haven't had any head or motor work done lately. This all stemmed when I tried to charge the cars battery with another battery and smoke started coming from underneath the engine bay. I had a fan blowing (it was warm outside) so I couldn't pinpoint where the smoke was coming from. I want to think there is a naked wire somewhere since seems like no one else has had this problem before. I did add a 1/2 a quart more but the light still came back on.

I heard some jingling under the car and did notice that I did leave an exhaust hanger loose above the torque tube. Does anyone know what happens when the knock sensor is kicked on besides retarding the timing. I wonder if the vibration could possibly trigger the oil level sender to come on also? I'll get the hanger fastened tommorow and hope that it resolves the problem.

If it's not the vibration, as a last resort I will be draining the oil again to check and see if the oil level float is not being blocked by something. I checked on Paragons website to see if they have the oil level sender unit, but it seems like the don't sell them. It may be a dealer only part so I guess I'll have to order the part and wait.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:54 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nothing that you said would have anything to do with the oil level warning.
The knock sensor won't even hear the jingling under the car, it's tuned to a specific frequency.
The vibration wouldn't trigger the oil level sender, it's a float, it's that simple.
Disconnect the oil level sender, see what that does. If it still comes on, then it's a wiring problem.
If the oil is good on the dipstick then don't worry about it. There are 7.5 (or more) quarts of oil in the system, you have enough to not worry about it. As long as your oil pressure is fine ignore the oil level light.

I wouldn't drain the oil, why? It's a float, it's not crucial. Most of the cars didn't even have the dumb little light, only the 87+ cars do. All the rest did fine with just checking the oil level on the dipstick. The reason you don't see the oil level sender as a replacement part is that they never fail, they are too damn simple to fail! You most likely did some damage with the smoke under the hood stint.

With your current post I'm inclined to believe that you did some damage to something in the wiring or logic that controls that little oil level light. ignore the damn thing! Check the oil with the dipstick and sleep well at night.

Get out there and enjoy your car!

Dal.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Ty
Advanced

Thanks Dal... I will... I just "HATE" seeing the "!" light on. I did unplug the sensor but the light stayed on anyway. Thanks for all the time and input!

Ty
Old 05-29-2006, 10:56 AM
jacklet
Racer

how many wires on the sensor? i clipped mine and don't remember
Old 05-29-2006, 11:21 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dal Heger
With your current post I'm inclined to believe that you did some damage to something in the wiring or logic that controls that little oil level light.
+1.

Quick Reply: Castrol 20w-50, STP oil filter and low oil level light....