Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Powerhaus, thanks for the advice, help and expertise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006 | 11:44 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down Powerhaus, thanks for the advice, help and expertise!!!

NOT!!!

David: I am going to give you a quick lesson in business 101.

"Todd it sounds like you paid for something that does not work, sorry to hear that, David.

----- Original Message -----
To: info@powerhaus.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 1:39 PM
Subject: Contact Request from the PowerHaus site

I have an 1987 951 with some mods and my current chips are not really close enough for my ARC2 to be able to fine tune.

I have a Lindsey racing Super 75 #8 hotside, ARC2, Huntley Stage3 MAF, 42# injectors, 3” cat back, no cat, rebuilt – strong motor and 19psi.

I recently had on the dyno (Mustang) and only put down 287whp/270wtq. Although was only run to 6K rpm and was still making power at that point. I was expecting much more due to the mods/boost, so I am thinking the tuning needs to be addressed as on my Zetronix, I am really rich in the midrange (about 10.5:1) and ok in the top end. But I can’t get rid of the richness in the middle.

Could you burn chips better?

Todd K"

Last edited by toddk911; 08-01-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2006 | 11:47 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

I got an email like that from him when i was looking for some parts/work to be done. I asked some questions on the processes and products and all i got was

"I can do it for this much, or I can sell it to you for this much"
Old 05-12-2006 | 12:15 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Well, at least you got some willingness that he wanted your business

I got "wow, that sucks Todd, have a nice day"
Old 05-12-2006 | 12:23 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I guess when you buy parts from them they will help you if not?

Just get some chips done from VR.
Old 05-12-2006 | 12:24 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

That does not appear to be very good customer(or even potential) service.
I have had responses like that from vendors and my response was silence and whenever that vendor is brought up I offer my two cents
Old 05-12-2006 | 02:05 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by toddk911
Well, at least you got some willingness that he wanted your business

I got "wow, that sucks Todd, have a nice day"

for me it was like "hey, i can do it for $25K, or you can buy the parts for $20K,"

Yeah sure Here's $20K and don't worry about those questions I asked.
Old 05-12-2006 | 02:16 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

That's actually a good move on David's part. You guys are asking for something he doens't sell or do. So he's telling you, albeit in subtle terms, that he can't help you.

Powerhaus is not a leading edge tuner. Powerhaus is not targeting the bolt-on market. Powerhaus is certainly not targeting 944's as a great market to be in.

Powerhaus will build you a great car for a lot of money. They will sell you performance packages for big amounts of money. They cater to someone who wants a turn-key solution.

Specifically, Powerhaus is not in the business of doling out advice, help, or expertise.

Go to one of the vendors who does dole out advice, help, and expertise as part of their business and you'll have far more luck. Vice versa, don't go to that vendor for a turn-key headache free solution for a lot of money.
Old 05-12-2006 | 02:39 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
That's actually a good move on David's part.
Assuming we saw the entire email from David and ToddK. I first read the response and said what a crap answer. Then I read it again and thought well ToddK didn't buy anything from him so he's probably just letting him know it sucks to be ToddK.

Then I read it again and thought.....whether I'm buying something from a vendor or not a civilized answer, when the time comes to buy something of relevance, will make me remember who treats me well and who doesn't.

I expect to drop a few grand in the next few months on my spare engine. Without a commitment in hand both John V. and Marcus Blazak have spent quite a bit of time making sure I'm heading in the direction I should be with the rebuild. Those are the kind of vendors that will always see my hard earned cash.

Maybe Powerhaus already has enough business and that's okay but eventually they all need more customers to survive. Taking an extra 30 seconds to write

"Hey Todd, thanks for thinking of Powerhaus for your engine needs but without significant tuning time I probably can't help you" Probably wouldn't have killed him.

And that only to 14 seconds to think of and type.....
Old 05-12-2006 | 02:43 PM
Opeth
Pro

Thumbs up hmm

Yeah, not a response I would give if I expected repeat business, you never know who your next potential customer may be.
Old 05-12-2006 | 03:24 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

i see nothing wrong with david's response.

repeat business means you bought something, not trying to fix something that you purchased from "brand X" and now doesn't work as advertised.

deal with the vendor where it was purchased.

powerhaus is expensive but it's the whole package that makes it work.

Old 05-12-2006 | 03:55 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

That's actually a good move on David's part. You guys are asking for something he doens't sell or do. So he's telling you, albeit in subtle terms, that he can't help you.

Specifically, Powerhaus is not in the business of doling out advice, help, or expertise.

Go to one of the vendors who does dole out advice, help, and expertise as part of their business and you'll have far more luck. Vice versa, don't go to that vendor for a turn-key headache free solution for a lot of money.
What you said made NO sense at all.

If you go to them regarding THEIR services/products and they give you a nonchalant response, it makes people not want to do business with them.
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:04 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pk951
I guess when you buy parts from them they will help you if not?

Just get some chips done from VR.
Are you sure VR will help you if you haven't bought any of their stuff and/or have competing vendors equipment on your car?
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:17 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Powerhaus is not a leading edge tuner. Powerhaus is not targeting the bolt-on market. Powerhaus is certainly not targeting 944's as a great market to be in.

Powerhaus will build you a great car for a lot of money. They will sell you performance packages for big amounts of money. They cater to someone who wants a turn-key solution.

Exactly what do you want the guy to say.
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:23 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Got news for you: The customer is NOT "always right".

He's simply saying "this isn't worth my time". He's probably right. I actually heard this kind of tactic discussed amongst some Wharton Business School graduates - sometimes you actually have to be a little bit caustic and abrasive in order to ensure that particular business (that's high-risk/low-return or otherwise something you don't want) goes elsewhere. It not only benefits you (since you don't have to deal with it), you dump the "problem customer" on your competitor because they storm off angry and think "I'll show you, I'll go to your competition". This is actually what the buisness owner wants. It simultaneously makes his competitor work harder for less reward.

I can totally see/appreciate the response. Nothing at all inappropriate and seems to make sense. I probably wouldn't have taken the business either unless you were willing to pay out the nose, which 951 owners typically aren't.
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:24 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andial951
Are you sure VR will help you if you haven't bought any of their stuff and/or have competing vendors equipment on your car?
John won't refrain from selling something to you because you have other vendors parts. I have Vitesse, SFR, and LR products on my car. He has actually given me advice on some of the other vendors products(which WAS positive).

Quick Reply: Powerhaus, thanks for the advice, help and expertise!!!