Fabspeed Exhaust -- Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:09 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed Exhaust -- Installed!

Install:
Just got my car back after getting some maintenance done and getting my 3" stainless steel fabspeed exhaust installed. I had some problems (bought exhaust used) because I was missing the square copper gasket that goes on the flange at the test pipe, and was missing one of the hangers and one of the clamps, but Don Istook was able to get it on nice and tight, and all centered up. Also, two of my wastegate bolts were broken off and had to be drilled out. Turns out one of the studs is cracked and can't be fixed, so I just have 3 bolts attaching the WG to the exhaust, but that should be plenty to seal the connection. Plus, I'm not worried about it because at that point in the exhaust, it doesn't affect performance one bit.

Sound:
This thing looks great and sounds even better! The sound at idle is very tolerable. Louder than stock, but not annoying, even with the windows down. The only thing (and Don commented on this too) is that it is kind of a "staccato" sounding rumble at idle, not a totally smooth rumble, though at higher RPM, this is not noticable at all. It's like you can almost hear the cylinders individually, kind of weird. But it is a nice deep note and a comfortable volume at idle.

At speed, cruising on the highway, it's much like the sound at idle, just a bit louder, but the extra few DBs get drowned out by highway noise when the windows are down, so it's not an issue at all. With the windows up, you just hear sort of a low rumble when cruising.

Getting on it though is another story Much, much louder than stock, espescially from around 3000 - 5500 RPM. After 5500 it seems to tone down a bit, I guess because the pulses are so much closer together. Not sure, but very nice sounding.

Performance:
Accelerating and engine revving is much faster. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear pulls are much stronger in the low RPM range. I haven't measured when boost comes on, but it is much faster than stock. I can't believe the difference, and I am still on the stock airbox and AFM! Going to a MAF would obviously make things even faster. You know what they say, "the best turbo exhaust is no exhaust" and my butt dyno definately agrees. I think I have more exhaust now than my 26/6 can really use, but even with the 26/6, if I free up the intake side (MAF) I think the better flowing exhaust will be used even more. (I'm referencing the dyno comparison between the 2.5" stock exhaust with test pipe vs. 3" exhaust. I think a MAF on the intake will show a greater difference between the two IMO, but that would have to be tested.)

Overall:
Anyway, very pleased with the upgrade. I love the sound (going through tunnels and bridges is a blast!) and the performance characteristics of the free-flowing exhaust/testpipe and straight through muffler are much improved over stock.

Oh, and the SS looks GREAT too (even if you only see the tailpipe!)

Last edited by danny951; 05-09-2006 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:42 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Rock on!
Thanks for the evaluation.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the review...

I'm actually in the process of installing the fabspeed down tube and SFR catback, and had a question for you... How was the wastegate pipe connected to the down tube? Do you have any pictures? I am attempting to use the stock gasket with 2 2-bold flanges on either side of it. However, it is leaking and am looking to find out how other people have done it.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Giantman
Racer

Danny can you post a video or sound file of the new exhaust in action?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:12 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

The first clip is me standing behind the car at idle. first i'm standing up, then i kneel down lower, level with the car. I'm standing 6 - 8 feet behind the car.

The second clip is from inside the car with the windows down and me revving up a bit

Behind Car: http://www.951videos.com/audio/danny...ehind_idle.mp3

Inside Car (windows down): http://www.951videos.com/audio/danny...ndows_down.mp3
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:48 AM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

that sounds awesome!!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Giantman
Racer

Thumbs up

NICE
Old 05-09-2006, 05:46 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Thanks!

I'll see if I can get one from behind the car while revving the motor a bit. And maybe a nice drive-by one.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds pretty good, try to get a clip inside the car showing boost and rpm when the turbo comes up.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:58 AM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

I love mine! Sounds like an expensive piece of machinery going by. Not tinney at all. I always go out on the back deck when the wifey drives by going to work in the 951. Awesome sound!

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Exhaust -- Installed!