Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Royal Purple tests/videos

http://www.royalpurple.com/video/video.html

Trucks! reduces drag in the drive train of a V8 4-wheel drive manual transmission truck for better gas mileage just by changing lubricants.
watch the video

Horsepower TV tests Royal Purple® on an LS1 engine and gains nearly 9 horsepower. watch the video

Hot Rod TV verifies other independent
tests showing how Royal Purple®:
increases horsepower—watch the video and
improves gas mileage—watch the video.

Top Dead Center shows Max-Cycle® reduces engine heat even in new motorcycle engines. watch the video

With the help of Royal Purple products, V8TV realizes a gain in both horsepower and torque on their '90 convertible mustang. watch the video
Old 05-04-2006, 01:31 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red Line for me. I dont want anything with extra additives for Color, thanks.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:44 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I replaced the OEM Lube in the 5sp trans in my '01 A4 with RP.
Shifting was much, much worse than with stock lube.
I'll try Redline next.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:01 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I love that kind of stuff...

Here is my story, sorry no videos, etc.

I got a hold of some Slick 50 back when it was in round cans like oil. At the time I was driving a full size 78 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with a 250 in line 6 and about 80K on the clock. I followed the instructions, changed my oil except for the last 2 qts, start the engine, pour in the Slick 50, then the last quart and drive the car for 45 minutes.

As I was pouring in the Slick 50 the idle increased. I ended up having to reset the idle back down from 3000 rpm! That was really impressive. I drove the truck for a month and didn't really notice much difference past the initial idle thing. Then my Dad asked to borrow my truck to go 100 miles to a cheese factory get some cheddar cheese horns for himself, all his friends, and everyone at the company he worked for. All totalled he was going to pick up 2000 lbs of cheese in my 1000lb rated blazer.

Anyway, it was about time for the next oil change after the Slick 50 fix so I asked him to stop by one of those quick oil change places and get the oil changed before he overloaded my truck.
I traded cars with my Dad and went to work as usual. When I got off work I stopped by to swap cars back. My dad had gotten the oil changed, made his run, and unloaded the cheese by the time I showed up to swap cars back. When he handed me my keys he told me it was making a rattling noise a couple of miles before he got home. I was in a hurry to make it to class, so I said thanks and took off.

I didn't notice anything unusual until the last half mile of the 11 mile drive to school. The lifters started clattering. I pulled into the school parkinglot, popped the hood and checked the oil. The dipstick was bone dry. I crawled under the truck, not a problem with the 4 inch lift kit, and saw the drain plug was in, no signs of leaking and the oil filter was the same. I went on to class.

In class I was trying to find someone that would take me somewhere to get oil when a girl in class offered to sell me some the the 3 cases she had gotten really cheap on sale at Walmart. It took the full 7 quarts for crankcase plus filter to fill it up. It did not have ANY oil in it.

I went back by my parents on the way home from class and asked about the oil change. My mom said she noticed they put in the wrong weight when they were filling it and told them. We guessed they drained the wrong weight back out and never put anything else back in.

So, 4000 miles after the Slick 50 treatment, the oil was drained, new oil put in, then drained out, and new filter put on, then the truck was driven 100 miles, filled to twice it's payload capacity, then driven 100 miles back. Only then did the lifters start to clatter. Then after the car sat an hour or so, I drove the truck another 10 miles on the freeway before the lifters started clattering again. Then put the full oil capacity in to fill it up. Drove the truck another 2 years without any engine problems whatsoever. I traded it for a 914, my first Porsche.

5 years later I got another GMC Jimmy with 80K it had a small block 400. I did the Slick 50 treatment thing on it. Also had to re-adjust the idle after adding the Slick 50. By then the cheese factory had local stores so I didn't get the opportunity to let my Dad test the Slick 50 claims.

I don't know if the new slick 50 stuff is the same. The stuff in the plastic bottles doesn't look the same to me as the old Slick 50 in the round oil cans. It also doesn't have near the mileage guarantee. The old stuff was a one time treatment. The new stuff says ever 100K. I tried the newer stuff in my 928 GT with 80K on it and didn't notice any difference at all. Since then I haven't had a car with over 40K on it to Slick.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:21 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

is the puple an added element or just due to what ever their product is made of?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:27 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

RKD: cool story of a real world situation.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RKD, that story rocked. We need more story time threads to pass the time while some of us are at work.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:11 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Motul in the tranny from a local guy, no difference from the Redline that was in there. Redline in a racecar, nothing to compare it to however. Valvoline VR1 20W50 in the 951 per Ski's recommendation. No experience with RP, but the decision to actually make it purple in color is interesting...
Old 05-04-2006, 05:51 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I won't bore you all with my Prolong 928 no oil story
Mostly because I still think it was a fluke.
**Don't try this at home unless you want to buy a new engine, or Tranny**
Let's just say that I have tried some of the claims on both an auto tranny and an engine.(For those who remember the old commercials)and she kept on truckin.-No I did not keep it this way forever but did run it for some time.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:55 PM
RennBod
Instructor

I mentioned to a couple of friend in the oil industry (both chemists at the local BP processing plant) that I was thinking of trying Royal Purple in my 944 turbo. They both responded in a similar way that its said that Royal Purple is much spoken about in the oil industry and is a bit of a running joke. Apparently the are well known for buying in cheap oils from whoever is selling cheap each month and use the colour additive to cover up the colour variation from one months batch to the next.

They both recommended Mobil and Fuchs as two companies who make oil with a cost no object process and that apparently Fuchs make the Mobil one synthetic oils for Mobil.

They also said that BP oils are not any better than any other brand.

They also tested some Swepco for me before I used it in my gearbox.. They reported back that they had never tested an oil with such abilities at withstanding high pressures and asked me where I got it from because their boss wanted to analyse it further!

Not sure how true this is, but its some
Old 05-05-2006, 10:46 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

LOL, so I'm not the only one that seems to spend more time on here at work then at home???
Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"They both recommended Mobil and Fuchs as two companies who make oil with a cost no object process and that apparently Fuchs make the Mobil one synthetic oils for Mobil."

Ski, who works in the oil industry as well, has said DO NOT run Mobil oil. He said since Exxon took over the oil is NOT at the same standard.

I know from my "story" I can tell that after a fresh, nutts on rebuild my motor had ZERO leaks even with very thin oil ( fully syn). I tried some 10w30 Mobile 1 and you guessed, about 3-4 little leaks in the garage. Went back to another brand and no more leaks. Now running Royal Purple 5w-30 and ZERO leaks.

So 2 different story's from two people that work in the oil industries.

So what does that mean??? We are right back to the drawing board about which is "best" oil.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is this home thing you guys speak of?
Old 05-06-2006, 01:40 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

hey you guys ever heard of um... uh.... Nero? zero?? NEO, thats it... any thoughts??
Old 05-06-2006, 01:54 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

David at Powerhaus said if I put RP in my car to let him know so he can order a new block and start building a new engine for me so it's ready when mine blows.
RDK, great story man.
Question, if AGIP oil was used for ten years in F1 racing, what are they using now and why did they switch?

Quick Reply: Royal Purple tests/videos