Oil coming out exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming out exhaust?

I have been noticing that on start up what seems to be oil is coming out of the exhaust. I can see it on the ground every time I start the car and if I am backed up against a wall it will leave black specs on the wall. I began noticing this after I removed the cat......

I was doing some work on the car this weekend and I noticed that there was oil in the Jboot and oil in the intercooler......I'm not sure if this is residue left over from when my turbo went bad.....supposedly the shop I took the car to cleaned out the intercooler but from the pics below it looks like maybe they didnt. I dont understand where the oil can be coming from since its in the JBoot.....could it be coming out of the turbo?

I mention the above because I was wondering if that is the reason I have oil coming out the exhaust.......or is it not oil and actually gas???

Once the car warms up the problem goes away.

Hope someone on the list can help me out with this one.
Attached Images    
Old 05-04-2006, 06:26 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a common occurrence. I (think) what you're seeing is not oil, but condensation from the temperature change in the exhaust mixing with the carbon/exhaust byproduct. Once the car heats up, the condensation dries up and the misting stops. I get that all the time, makes a mess in the garage if I'm backed in so I usually roll the car out a bit before starting.

The oil in the intercooler pipes is a separate issue. Blow-by from the turbo could be the cause, but I don't know enough about that issue to comment on it's cause or remedy.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The black stuff coming out of the exhaust is just soot. Engines that burn unleaded gas have always made this soot.

The oil you are seeing could be coming from the oil filler/oil mist seperator. This can happen for a couple of reasons. There is either too much combustion blow by, or the oil filler to block O-Rings are leaking by. When either of these things happens, the excess gas in the crankcase is drawn into the intake. Because there is more than the "normal" amount of gas flowing, it will draw oil vapor into the intake. I have seen this on turbos and NAs.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Are the o-rings hard to change???
Old 05-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

how does "turbo blow-by" occur.......and how is it fixed?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:32 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Just soot. I should show you pictures of my garage where the exhaust is.
Think Airbrush.

Catch can for the blow-by fix...well to some degree.

Quick Reply: Oil coming out exhaust?