Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need a new rod/rods, and hoping i didnt toast the crank as well....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:32 AM
Kell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new rod/rods, and hoping i didnt toast the crank as well....

Some of you may have seen my past 2 threads about my engine noise and then the pulling of my motor. Well i have the motor out and on a stand and not only did i spin the #2 rod bearing it was roughly %40 missing and what was left of the two halves were thin enough to bend with my bare hand... ill post pictures tomorrow of the carnage. i know the rod is toast and am unsure if i will need a new crank, its looking very possible the scoring has gone too deep to salvage the crank.

So obviously i will be rebuilding the motor. So far the cheapest entire set of rods i ahve found are Carrillos for $815 and a new set of Carrillos on ebay for $750. I it is possible i would like to avoid spending this much and if anyone has just one rod they can spare that would be great... yet i doubt i will find just one but thought id ask anyways.

This will be my first 951 rebuild, and i have a few questions. Does anyone have any experiance with total seal gapless rings on these motors ,ive only had experiance with a set on an iron block for a n/a bmw and dont know how well they work with this FI aluminum block setup. I plan on getting the bottom end fully balanced and am curious if anyone has had a good balance job done and removed the balance shafts without any issues? Any other ideas and words of advice on this rebuild would be great as always!

thanks,
Kell
Old 04-19-2006, 03:06 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I have a crank I'm happy to sell if you need it. Sorry about your troubles though.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, I've got a rod. I'll PM you.

Quick Reply: Need a new rod/rods, and hoping i didnt toast the crank as well....