Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any Mafterburner tuning wizards out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:44 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bret, are you guys using the o2 sensor in any of your cars? I'm not now and the car seems to run better.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, and they run great. I almost stopped by the vehicle inspection station in Memphis the other day just to see what the readings were for the hell of it but the line was too long and I was headed back to Heber Springs - Memphis sniffs, Germantown does not.

I did run the street car with it for a couple of years and the sensor messed up, unplugged it and the car was fine(it was missing a bit or rough idle) and is fine to date. the car has a 14.5 to 14.9 dithering idle but very smooth.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:35 AM
jy951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by por951turbo
The DME uses the o2 sensor for input when under normal driving and uses closed loop maps. When at WOT it switches to open loop and uses those maps. By removing the o2 sensor, you force the car to run in open loop mode. It your chips and tunning are good then it won't matter. This would have no affects on your logs as you are running at WOT.

I'm sure someone with more experience can add to this.
Hmmm...I was always told that in closed loop operation the DME (ECU/ECM) actually uses feedback from the O2 sensor, NOT maps to control AFR. Only in open loop (WOT) the DME (ECM/ECU) uses pre-defined maps that are stored in the DME (ECM/ECU). That's what I've been told by techs (mechanics). If you disconnect the factory O2 sensor, your 951 will operate in open mode during idle, and like 'Ski' said, "no big deal, just lean out the appropriate cells in MAFterburner" to get a stoich reading (14.5-14.7). That's what I'm doing with my MAFterburner set-up.

Quick Reply: Any Mafterburner tuning wizards out there?