Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You are, most likely, barking up the wrong tree on the oil issue. Oil in the intake is usually a result of blow by pressurizing the crankcase. Look at the large line returning from the black oil separator to the preturbo intake. If that is oiled up then there is you r problem. Turbos don’t usually leak oil into the intake path.

BTW – side to side free play on a turbo is about .5mm – almost enough for the blades to hit the housing.

Chris White
Old 04-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Kell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i seriously doubt that the oil could have come from the oil separator/ crank case vent in my case. After removing the intake manifold i came to find that the previos owner for some reason just had a 6" hose open to the atmosphere coming off the opening in the oil separator... which will be fixed once the motor is put back together. So im having trouble figuring out where the oil in the intake has come from.

And thanks for the spec on the fre play, but it still seems to me tlike theres alot more play than there should be but who knows, i may be wrong.

thanks,
Kell
Old 04-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

An open hose….interesting approach! Did it look like it had been spraying oil?

How does the intercooler look – lots of oil in the pipes and cooler?

As far as free play – yes they all seem very loose – is a plain journal bearing – when there is no oil pressure it will seem loose.

Chris White
Old 04-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Kell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, i was suprized at the opening straight to the atmosphere, and what i found odd was that the hose is bone dry and has no signs of oil being sprayed at all.

as for the intercooler and pipes, there is a good bit of oil, the pipes have asoil film around the inside and all the rubber couplings had oil pooled in them at the bottom. the intercooler itself after i turned it on its side dripped a few good drops but less than i thought would have been judging by the amount in the pipes.

Ive only had this car since teh end of january and so far there have definantly been some ineresting suprizes some good most no so good.

Im going to take some pictures and post them up of the progress so far.

Kell

Quick Reply: pulling engine, any words of wisdom?