Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Chin spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Over Boost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chin spoiler

Who makes good chin spoilers and where can I get them?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A well covered topic. Search this forum for "splitters". AIR and GT are the most common. Each has their proponents.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

AIr is the best i got one a month back...
Old 04-07-2006, 06:52 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Over Boost
Who makes good chin spoilers and where can I get them?

AIR and GT Racing are the most popular with the AIR looking the best (almost factory installed if done well) while the GT Racing is more functional.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Searchy McSearch !!!

And they're "splitters", not "spoilers"
Old 04-08-2006, 02:33 AM
jacklet
Racer

i've had both-never cared for the air, gt racing is def more functional i use the gt if you want it to look nice it does require some work
Old 04-08-2006, 03:07 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

the GT racing splitter is only more functional if the car is very low. The AIR splitter droops down almost a full inch lower than the GT. The AIR is a nightmare on a lowered car (scrapes a lot), but it looks and fits WAY better than the GT.

IMO, the GT is good for super low race cars, the AIR is good for street cars at an average ride height.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:16 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich is right. I put a AIR splitter on my race car, which is very low but extremely stiff [think 1000# springs]. It looked crazy low when installed, but I figured it might be OK given the stiff suspension.

The splitter lasted a grant total of ONE lap. Rode the gator coming out of Oak Tree at VIR, and the splitter disintegrated. I'm working on fabricating a splitter something like the GT idea. Splitters are consumables on race cars, so I need to make a few and carry a spare.

[Edit: fixed the confusion about which splitter was which].

Last edited by APKhaos; 04-08-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:29 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Tony:

I'm wondering if you got the description in your post above backwards, are you sure it was the GT that you installed originally? As Rich says the AIR splitter sits an inch or so lower and would be pretty tough to fabricate on your own since it has several compound curves.

Not trying to be a PITA here, just looking out for posterity.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:29 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Greg,
You are exactly right. Not enough coffee this AM, it seems. I'll edit to reduce confusion.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Tony, I'm just wondering if you were at all able to run laps with a functioning splitter, did you notice any more traction on the front? I think you would only really notice it on high speed sweepers...

There is a stretch of highway around here, and without the splitter, at a certain speed which shall remain unspecified (for my own protection) the car seemed to understeer a lot... I'd have to back off the throttle a bit to get some turn in. With the splitter, I could take the sweeper at full speed and not have to lift. I wonder if you notice this at the track...
Old 04-08-2006, 04:51 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Rich,
It certainly made a positive improvement. VIR has a set of climbing esses that are run north of 100MPH and a high speed left at the top. At the end of the back straight [130MPH+] there is an uphill sweeper/braking zone. The car was much more planted in front through those sections. Much more noticeable that I expected, which is why I'm determined to get a splitter that might last an entire race or two :-)

Here's a video of the track, although its nothing like full pace VIR Feb 06
Old 04-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I've made a copy of the AIR splitter, but with 1" less thickness, to give me more clearance. It looks way better than the GT racing one, and has more clearance. The only problem is it was my first ever FG job, I didn't wax it properly before applying resin, and the plug stuck to the mold!!! #$#$%! I broke the mold geting the original spiltter out and now I have to clean it off and do it all over again!!

If as you say, you have to replace the splitter so often, maybe just get a simple design like the GT racing one and copy that. That way it's easier to make a new one if you have to.. the design of the AIR makes it a little bit more complicated to copy.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:10 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

does anyone have any data showing which splitter is better, AIR vs. GT?
Old 04-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I don't think so. I doubt any of us could gather accurate data.. it would have to involve back to back testing at the same speeds on the same roads in the same conditions.. etc etc.. it would be a PITA.

Like I said before, I think the GT racing splitter is the serious, lowered car, racing application splitter - but if the car is sitting at stock ride height, then the AIR will be more effective, because it sits lower.

Some people also run simple Air Dams instead of splitters. I don't know why, as I think a proper splitter with a flat bottom would be more effective. Mayeb Air Dams are less prone to damage.. or maybe class rules dictate them..

Quick Reply: Chin spoiler