Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 water passage depth around cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006 | 10:18 AM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 951 water passage depth around cylinders?

Trying to find the nominal depth of the water passage around the cylinders of a 951 (with the head off). On my 928, it's about 4" exactly.

Thanks!

Mark.
Old 04-06-2006 | 07:55 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Measured 4.43 inches, will measure again to make sure
Old 04-06-2006 | 10:28 AM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

no no, that's fine, that's about the same as the 928. Reason why, local Japanese engine builders doubting the 928 engine (proper pistons/compression/management/boost) could make more than 800hp or so since they feel the open deck will lead to walking cylinders. Meaning, that a 400hp would walk it's cylinders as well since its 1/2 the cylinders & 1/2 the power of a theoretical 800hp 928. Geez...
Old 04-06-2006 | 02:08 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

The depth is by no means constant, it varies between 4.4” and 1.5”. The depth in the transverse direction (most relevant for cylinder rocking) is a fairly constant 3.5” for all cylinders and the minimum depth between cylinders (somewhat relevant for cylinder rocking) is 1.5”.

Laust
Old 04-06-2006 | 02:10 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkRobinson
no no, that's fine, that's about the same as the 928. Reason why, local Japanese engine builders doubting the 928 engine (proper pistons/compression/management/boost) could make more than 800hp or so since they feel the open deck will lead to walking cylinders. Meaning, that a 400hp would walk it's cylinders as well since its 1/2 the cylinders & 1/2 the power of a theoretical 800hp 928. Geez...
Special Tool has been at over 400 crank for a long time and he hasnt posted anything Theres other 951s with over 400 crank and nothing.

Hell, head lifting is more of a problem.
Old 04-06-2006 | 06:14 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkRobinson
no no, that's fine, that's about the same as the 928. Reason why, local Japanese engine builders doubting the 928 engine (proper pistons/compression/management/boost).
Please, the local jap tuners here think they are the masters of tuning/building cars, and any non-jap car (especially Porsche) are a waste of time.
Old 04-06-2006 | 07:54 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Import Tuners

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Please, the local jap tuners here think they are the masters of tuning/building cars, and any non-jap car (especially Porsche) are a waste of time.
So you have them there too. Here they call themselves import tuners.
Which reminds me that I once approached one at a show and asked if they could do some upgrades for my imported car. “Sure we can, what car is it?” was the response. “A Porsche 944T” was my response, after which they just looked at me in disbelief. “But it’s an import” I continued … even more disbelief mixed with confusion.
So that was as far as that inquiry went.

Laust

PS They routinely use cylinder braces for high powered open deck Hondas (and others).
Old 04-06-2006 | 08:34 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
So you have them there too. Here they call themselves import tuners.
Which reminds me that I once approached one at a show and asked if they could do some upgrades for my imported car. “Sure we can, what car is it?” was the response. “A Porsche 944T” was my response, after which they just looked at me in disbelief. “But it’s an import” I continued … even more disbelief mixed with confusion.
So that was as far as that inquiry went.

Laust

PS They routinely use cylinder braces for high powered open deck Hondas (and others).
Only one vendor worked on my car, that was Greddy dealer. They were suprised on how simple the DME/KLR worked and hooked up, got the emanage runing in no time (amazing device really). Other vendors don't even touch my car, ironically since they claim to have 20+ years of experience in tuning/building engines in Japan and Germany......and they never heard of a torque wrench so much for them.

Quick Reply: 951 water passage depth around cylinders?