Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What should I expect on a LSD installation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006 | 01:44 PM
Opeth
Pro

Question What should I expect on a LSD installation?

How long should it take to put a new Quiafe LSD into my 88 non-LSD 951? What are some of the things that should be done "while Im in there"? Its got 110k on it, I need a new clutch at some point, any advantage to doing the 2 together?

Also any interest in a Central FL wrenching party?
Old 04-03-2006 | 01:45 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Pinion bearing, output shaft bearings, output shaft seals.
Parts are ~$90, takes about an extra 30 minutes when the back of the transmission is already apart.
I dunno, maybe 3 hours to install the R&P? That's what the PO of my car was charged to install a guard unit.

Some advantage to doing the 2 together. Easier to work on the transmission when it's out and on a bench.
Old 04-03-2006 | 03:23 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

If you swap out the diff, you need to have the ring and pinion spacing checked and most likely reshimmed.

If you get advice from an individual or shop that does not know what that entails, look elsewhere for service and information. An improperly spaced ring and pinion will wear out prematurely, and worst case can destroy itself quickly.

By the way, if you decide to replace the pinion bearings, they are around $90 each, and there are two. To replace the front pinion bearing requires removing all the gear sets off the pinion shaft. Might as well replace the 1st and 2nd gear synchros at that point, and do the same with the input shaft - and have a complete rebuilt transmission - which is close to $500 in parts and $1000 plus in labor.
Old 04-03-2006 | 04:41 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

What you should expect on an LSD installation?

Tracers, intense study of your fingernails and general euphoria. But you could have all kinds of other fun effects........YMMV!!

Quick Reply: What should I expect on a LSD installation?