Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help me Understang: Camber

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't listen to Chris. He may have set up a lot of cars, but doesn't make those cars fast. Take mine for example. ;-)

With RA1s, I found ~-2.8 front and ~-2.4 rear (on 17" wheels and factory suspension) gave me decent tire wear and good neutrality.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:40 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I use to get excessive tire ware on the inside tire walls with any camber over 2.2 degrees. I really don't believe any more than 2.2 degrees is necessary. Even stock suspensions don't have that much play to warrant it. Most of my tire ware issues were from running to much negative camber.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Jerome is right. I can't make the cars fast, the driver has to actually STAY on the track to be fast.

Once again, everyone's set up is differant. Just because someone is happy with what they have doesn't make it work for everyone or anyone else for that matter.

Jerome's -2.8 and -2.4 made his car feel good to him but my -1.8 and -2.0 on undersized tires had my driving away from him by more than a little, but that's another story.......
Old 04-02-2006, 03:48 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Yeah Jerome is right. I can't make the cars fast, the driver has to actually STAY on the track to be fast.

Jerome's -2.8 and -2.4 made his car feel good to him but my -1.8 and -2.0 on undersized tires had my driving away from him by more than a little, but that's another story.......
Ouch .... and ouch..... But true.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:38 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I use to get excessive tire ware on the inside tire walls with any camber over 2.2 degrees. I really don't believe any more than 2.2 degrees is necessary. Even stock suspensions don't have that much play to warrant it. Most of my tire ware issues were from running to much negative camber.
If this would be correct my tires would not last as long as they do.

My humble opinion is that toe settings effects tire wear very much more than camber.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:59 PM
dzombek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a blast, can I assume Jerome and Chris know each other?

Well I am on my way to drop the car off, hope I don't seem like to much of an *** when I ask them to redo the Camber...

I think I am going to get it to a base line of -2.7 to -2.5 up front and leave the rear alone. This will atleast help with balance and tirewear. As for the toe I will see ho that pans when they adjust the camber. I am not sure there is a magical "self" change in toe when Camber is changed.

We will see.

thanks for the thread.

Oh, have you heard, a National NasCar day is on the books? What the &^% is Speed thinking?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:33 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Food for thought. I used to run Hoosiers on my stock koni 89 951 car, and I could not get enough camber. The Hoosiers would wear out the outer edge. I added camber plates so I could get more than -3*, then I got fairly even wear. THEN I replaced the sway bars with a 968 MO30 setup and all of a sudden I was wearing out the INSIDE of the tires. I backed the camber off to -2.5 and all was well. They are right when they say "everything matters".
Old 04-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To augment what Dan just said, refer to your tyre manufacturer's camber recommendation. Most track tyres have a min and max camber setting.

As much as we can all speculate on correct camber settings, I think you'll need to track the car, and see how your tyres wear, before you will really know what camber setting you need.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:03 AM
jerome951
Drifting

David,
That setting will be a good starting point for the track. You'll see decent inside/outside shoulder wear but will likely still wear the outside faster (too much body roll w/ a stock suspension). After a couple weekends just flip the tires on the rims and you're good to go. If you do a lot of street driving, though, you'll wear the insides faster.

Toe will change to be more inward when they adjust camber to more negative, so expect them to reset toe as well.

Yes, Chris and I know each other. He sets up my car (though doesn't like to admit it because of how slowly I drive). Yes, he's set up a lot of 951s for the track and I'd take his recommendations over damn near anyone.

And, ummm, isn't every day Nazzcar Day on Speed anymore????
Old 04-03-2006, 10:23 AM
dzombek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has been dropped off. And guess what, it was dropped off the night of one of the worst storms in a while in Cincinnati. Dang....

Called and the car was fine, didn't look like swiss cheese.

Talked to the alignement guy and they are going to make the changes and reset the toe.

Thanks for all the info, this has been a subject that I have wanted to learn about for a while, but was afraid to ask...

Quick Reply: Help me Understang: Camber