Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Building Questions: Crank Seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006 | 06:27 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Default Engine Building Questions: Crank Seal

I am in the process of re-sealing my crank girdle to block with loctite since I somehow missed doing that during my rebuild.
Anyhow, everything is going great so far but I have a couple of questions. I pulled the engine yesterday and today I was able to get a decent amount done. I pulled the crossover, oil pan, front access, oil pump, crank girlde. I then sealed with the loctite and torqued the girlde and oil pump down. Also bolted the oil pan on. I felt I needed to close everything up before I left the garage.

On the gear that goes in the front crank seal (not the crank pulley or crank gear, I'm talking about the oil pump drive gear that is around the end of the crankshaft and goes into the oil pump): Is it suppose to stick out just about a mm from the gasket. The gear does not sit flush with the crank seal. When the oil pump was out of the car it sat flush when I pushed it in, but now that the pump is torqued to the block the gear sticks out just a bit. This normal? I don't remember when I removed it.

Also, I notice a dark liquid that looked like a sort of milk shake (coolant and oil mixing) at the very bottom of the oil pan and also in the pickup tube. When I drained the oil that was only run in the car for about 5 minutes the oil was perfect. But when I had the pan off, at the bottom of it was a small bit of that milkshake. Then when I cleaned out the pickup tube it came out there also....just curious if that is something I should look into. TIA.
Old 03-30-2006 | 06:45 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

And some pics I guess...the battery in my camera died shortly before I yanked the engine...
Old 03-30-2006 | 06:47 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Old 03-30-2006 | 06:53 AM
JET951
Drifting

if its the part im thinking of then it does protude 1 or 2 mm or so out from the front crank seal, it also has an o-ring which goes in between it and the crank. then the washer goes on the outside of that. is this what your talking about?
Old 03-30-2006 | 10:07 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Like the blue, man. Looks sharp!
Old 03-30-2006 | 10:41 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JET951
if its the part im thinking of then it does protude 1 or 2 mm or so out from the front crank seal, it also has an o-ring which goes in between it and the crank. then the washer goes on the outside of that. is this what your talking about?

What he said. Mine extends about a mm or so as well.

Looks great! Nice job.
Old 03-30-2006 | 04:36 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JET951
Exactly, thanks man.
Old 03-30-2006 | 05:05 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Any ideas on that black oil like sludge layer in the bottom of the oil pan? Someone mentioned it could be a machine shop degreaser that was not blown out of the oil passages after the engine was hot tanked. It mixed with the oil and turned into that stuff. What do you guys think?
Old 03-30-2006 | 05:05 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup extends just a tad.
Old 03-30-2006 | 05:11 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

The bolt at the crankshafts front, clamps the oil pump drive in place so it needs to stick out a little.
Old 04-01-2006 | 03:12 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Figured out that the stuff collecting at the base of the oil pan is just assembly lube I used when I rebuilt the engine.

Quick Reply: Engine Building Questions: Crank Seal