Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another light tunnel solution (and some cool graphics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 04:59 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another light tunnel solution (and some cool graphics)

Ok guys I’m a bit premature by reporting on these since I haven’t installed them but I have no reason to believe there are going to be any issues so here goes;

Both of these products were made by member 35thSLP (Jeff).

The first is a Mylar decal set to fix the light tunnel issue. As you can see in the pic, they are precut to fit the light tunnels. I separated the decal from the backing paper to have a looksee and found the decal to be highly reflective and made of a nice material thickness. This should provide good instrument light reflection and ease of installation, as the material is thick enough to prevent tearing in case it needs repositioning (The decal comes with the adhesive already applied, all you do is peel from the backing paper and apply to a pre-cleaned light tunnel). You will also want to buy some new instrument light bulbs and change them out while you are in there. BTW- the pic was taken with the decals still in the two sided backing paper.

Second is a solution for our ugly overflow tanks. When they are not bad enough (cracked) to justify replacement at over $100 but ugly enough to be a bit of an eye sore. Credit here goes to member gregeast as I first saw this product on his car and he put me in touch with Jeff (Greg I hope you don’t mind me using your car as a model ).

This is a two-piece decal set of very high quality (bright colors, nice material thickness and sharp edges). You basically clean your tank well and apply the first decal set (it helps align the second decal set) then apply the second set. Presto, that’s it, you now have one very cool looking coolant tank!

Having said all that I must confess that I don’t know if Jeff has any intention of mass producing these but I found him to be a super nice guy and great communicator, he also shipped this stuff to me very promptly. So I guess if you ask him nicely he might be persuaded.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:02 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

That has got to be one of the cleanest engine bays I've ever seen!

The porsche emblem on the coolant tank is a neat mod.. I wonder what it would look like on a non-red car.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:22 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aaaah yes, the old "goldish" tank fix, nice!

I tuned up my tunnels with aluminized tape and 2.7v bulbs, big improvement.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:47 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll add one more fun project that Jeff (35thSLP) helped me with.

I hated the way the normal Colorado plate looked on this car so I had a euro plate made with the correct license number from a German supplier on Ebay. It came with green embossed numbers/letters and had the normal blue European Union trim around the outside and the EU flag on the left.

Jeff made the vinyl for me from my design that mimcs the normal Colorado plate. So far, so good with the local constables...

Old 03-26-2006, 07:53 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

And last but not least, Jeff also made a set of decals for me to place inside the embosssed 'PORSCHE' script on the '87+ airbag wheels. The decal is simulated brushed aluminum and looks pretty darn convincing in the flesh:

Old 03-26-2006, 08:20 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Hey Greg, I really like that lic. plate. Do you mind if I ask Jeff do do one for me? I just got a ticket last week for not having a plate on my Jeep & absolutely REFUSE to put a fugly front plate on the Porsche. Might help to keep Colorado's finest of my tail.

BTW- Do you remember the name of the Ebay vendor?

TIA
Old 03-26-2006, 09:11 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Lou,

Sure, no problem at all, the more the merrier. I actually have a couple of extras but I think they're already spoken for. Here's the particulars for the people I ordered the plate from:

Their website is www.germanstuff4you.com and the email is webmaster@germanstuff4you.com My contact was Olli.

The prices were:
$15.95 german plate
$ 2.00 extra for green lettering
--------------------
$17.95 + shipping ($8 regular surface, takes 3-5 weeks OR $13 airmail).

I paid the $13 and got it within 10 days

I'll look forward to seeing the results at our Colorado get together!

Greg
Old 03-27-2006, 01:29 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Thanks Greg. I can't wait to see your car in person. I know from reading some of the posts that you & doc have gorgeous cars (as well as some other members up here). I'm really looking forward to the get together!

BTW- check your pm's, got a question for you.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg, how much were the graphics for the coolant tank? Looks very nicely done...interested in doing it myself.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:10 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Mine is currently sitting patiently in the garage. My narrow body 18" turbo tech hollow spokes are getting tires mounted on em, then I need to install the 968 M030 sways, SS brake lines, bleed the brakes and track down a few vacuum leaks and I'll be ready to rumble. I did manage to reglue the rear view mirror back on...
Old 03-27-2006, 09:49 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jon,

I think 35thSLP charged me ~$35 shipped, might not have even been that much. Just drop him a PM, Jeff's a great guy to work with. Be sure to post some pics if you do it!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:09 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by gregeast

Greg
WooHoo GTG even though i won't have a 951 one anymore oh well i will bring the new car if i decide to pick it up
Old 03-27-2006, 06:46 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Lou, how in the world did you get those shinny chrome decals to photograph black?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Leafing paint (not silver paint, actual LEAFING paint) works pretty well.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Very cool. If you want to test out that front plate, just park on the street in Downtown Denver near Larimer Square or Coors Field. Let us know how it goes. Those jackals have driven me to putting front plates on all my cars.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Another light tunnel solution (and some cool graphics)