Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Picked up some more fun bits today. . . 951 goes off the road for a while

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Picked up some more fun bits today. . . 951 goes off the road for a while

Next batch of upgrades for the 951. . .

LinkMAP setup, t04e/0.50/stage III & piggyback. Good times comin'.

Car had its last "operational" drive the other day - once my garage frees up from a couple other projects I'm working on, the 951 goes under the knife and will be off the road for several months while all this stuff goes in. Here's the list of work to be completed (pics/updates/ranting & cursing will be posted as appropriate during the procedure):

1. Repair oil pan gasket leak (Danno's "bombproof" method) plus myswiss pan gasket retainers.
2. Rod bearings "while I'm in there"
3. Upgrade head gasket to cometic gas-filled o-ring type
4. Upgrade crossmember to Lindsey 3-piece
5. Upgrade crossover pipe to Lindsey 2-piece
6. Install new t04e turbo ( )
7. Install LinkMAP setup
8. Install Tial 38mm wastegate
9. Install ApecI EBC
10. Replace t-belts, water pump, rollers, oil pump drive sleeve & seals "while I'm in there"
11. Upgrade cam to late n/a cam (why not?) and re-seal cam tower
12. Flush brake fluid and upgrade. Install stainless steel lines & 5/33 bias valve
13. Install new fuel lines (probably the Pauerman ones if he makes some new ones or possibly the Rennbay ones. Yet to be determined. I have a set of Lindsey ones but they didn't send me all the pieces so I can't use 'em).
14. Update injectors
15. Install new chips (already have these, mapped for 65# injectors)
16. Install aftermarket boost gauge and A/F monitor
17. Replace a/c compressor and flush components; vacuum and recharge system (yes, I'm going to retain working a/c - I can't stand delete kits unless it's for a track-only car).
18. POSSIBLY upgrade clutch to cup-style (expected power output is 350-400 RWHP, so slippage may become an issue and might not be a bad idea since everything else is coming apart anyway).
19. Install manual rack or new p/s rack seals & lines (have both, haven't decided which way to go yet).
20. Install new 3" SFR exhaust.

22. Enjoy turn-key 400-ish H.P. car and go find some poor defenseless Mustangs to pick on.

I'll keep y'all updated. . .

I have all the parts currently except a new water pump and the Tial 38mm (need to order those in the next week or two). . . Still gotta' order the SFR too, but that'll be one of the last things to go on, so I have time to save up for it.

Might pick up a few other goodies along the way too, budget and "significant other approval" permitting. . . A catch can would be good, as would a coil-on-plug setup. . . But we'll see. First things first.

Once this is all done, I have a little bit of paint & body stuff to do (some stone chip issues to be addressed and a couple spots in the front fender paint that need attention) and it should be a pretty nice 951 after that.

Should be fun, but man. . . what a time sink this is gonna' be!
Old 03-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Jeff, you definelty will be busy. Let me know if you need my help. I have my own little list of to dos at the moment as well, but definetly not as impressive as yours.
Eyal
Old 03-19-2006, 03:48 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you got your work cut out for you jeff...have fun...i know what you are going through.i am getting ready to pull my motor this week(hopefully)and then start swapping parts..heres what ive done so far

Last edited by dougoh; 01-18-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks man. . . It's going to be a couple weeks before I can roll it in and start ripping it apart (I have that red car project to finish up, then a couple minor issues on the silver one first). But yea, I figure there's going to be a good party or two to help with this. Lotsa work to be sure. . . If you're ever looking for stuff to do. . .

Now I need about six more weeks of vacation time.

Quick Reply: Picked up some more fun bits today. . . 951 goes off the road for a while