Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

When does turbo water pump work????

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does turbo water pump work????

The turbo that came on my race car did not have water cooling running to it. The turbo I am installing will. I have all of the connections needed and the electric pump. I am going to install a switch on the dash so I can turn the pump on and off as needed. I have a few questions that my 944 maint CD does not clear up.
1. I was told the electric water pump mounts ahead of the turbo (between the engine water pump and turbo). The not so clear picture on the CD looks as if it is mounted after the turbo pulling the water through the turbo, not pushing it through. Which is right? Or does it matter?
2. When does the electric pump come on? I was told it could run all the time. According to the manual it comes on and runs for 25 seconds after the car is shut off.
3. Does the engine driven water pump circulate water through the turbo without the aid of the electric pump when the car is running? Seems like it would to me.
4. Would it hurt to run the pump all the time while on track?
Thanks for any help guys.
Craig
Old 03-19-2006, 01:50 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbo pump is independent, when the engine is running, it is off and allows the coolant pump to do the work.

When the engine is turned off, the pump is activated and stays on for 25 +/- 5 seconds

It sits nearly parrallel to the turbocharger

No point in turning it on when the engine is on, you will just reduce it's life span.

Quick Reply: When does turbo water pump work????