Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone try just a ring job with cylinder scores?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try just a ring job with cylinder scores?

I'm in the process of dropping the oil pan for the first time to pop out the pistons and do some measurements on the pistons and bores. I have some scoring on a few cylinders that can catch a fingernail. I will know more info as I get the internals out. But I was wondering if anyone had just put new rings in with cylinder scoring without doing anything to the bores and how did the car run after that. If you did could you also provide some pics of the scoring you had.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I did this, but the scoring wasn't too bad. I could barely catch a fingernail on the deepest one and the scoring was only at the top of the cylinder. I just put new rings in and went on my merry way. 15k miles so far...no issues, perfect compression and leakdown is great. I will say that it took a bit longer for the rings to break in.

It took about a month to get an extra 3" of vacuum at idle from the rings breaking in.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:10 PM
dganapol
Intermediate

I had/have a score in my #2 that I can catch my finger nail up to my elbow. I decided to just rebuild without touching the bores.Compression is good and no more oil burning. Send me an email address and I can send you a picture.

david 87 951 burg

Quick Reply: Anyone try just a ring job with cylinder scores?