Fabspeed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:48 PM
dganapol
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed

All,
Just received my Fabspeed Test pipe. Looks great, but it is a little out of round at the connection. Does anyone know a quick way to make it round without beating it. The only way I can think of is a tailpipe expander.
Thanks,
david 87 951 burg
Old 03-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's stainless steel...good luck. SS is tough stuff! I had a B&B that wasn't expanded enough to let the wastegate pipe slide in any more than 1/8". I used a manual expander and lots of heat to get the I.D just a little bigger with no success. A muffler shop in my area had a hydraulic expander but it would not fit on the small pipe. Because of the way the machine was built, the turbo part of the pipe got in the way. He also advised that stainless pipes may crack when expanded too far. I ended up using a Dremel on the inside part of the test pipe and filing the wastegate pipe to get thenm to fit together. long story short, what should have been a 15 minute job took all day.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 PM
jean_noir
Racer

Mine was the same way. I used one of those scissor jacks, stuck it in the opening of the test pipe (with the lil cuts ) and just opened the jack up. Repositioned the jack and repeated it at different positions. Great way to spend two hours. I thought it kinda sucked (along with a bit of poor worksmanship) when the included cat bypass did not fit in the included pipe. Hell, couldn't someone in the factiory just simply stuck them together for fun before putting them in the box??? Would have liked to have a gasket with the pipe as well. - sorry mine was SFR
Old 03-16-2006, 08:22 PM
dganapol
Intermediate

Hi jean_noir,

Yes, you are correct. You would think they would try it out. But, then again at that point they would have seen that it does not fit and it would take them a few hours to repair. I just ordered a tailpipe expander. When I am done with it I will send it to the next guy, because I sure it happens all of the time.

david 87 951 burg
Old 03-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd send it back to them and tell them to fix it...they shouldn't ship you something with an issue and expect you to fix it.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:06 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joe Fabnini is a great guy with a huge commitment to excellence. Call him up explain what you are up against, and give him a chance to make it right.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:21 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I set the pipe on a wood block and hammered on the outside of the slip joint turning it as I went. After a couple of rounds, the pipe slipped on. As soon as you put the clamp on the pipe it will pull it into round again. Interesting how many people have had an issue with this. Mine almost slipped on, it needed a little more flare on the end.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed