Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gains from 3" exhaust (cat delete) and 38mm Tial

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:43 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

why do you guys all buy the tial wastegate. i have installed both the tial and the lindsey racing wastegate and the linsdey is so much easier to install and it actually fits right. whereas the tial with the sfr adapters are a little out. and performance wise i would say they are the same. i would personally pay the exta to get a wastegate that fits properly.

also andial951 you say you were making 243rwhp with a 2.8 and the k27/6 i would have thought you would have more power than that
Old 03-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
andial, what chips are you running for your K27/6
The wrong ones. Actually Andial put their own chips in back in 91 when the car was still using a K26/6. I didnt change the chips when I went to a 27/6 so I know the car is still not running at its best tune. A while back I asked Vittese if they could make me chips for my setup but they said couldnt. Now I have my eye on the Scivision chips.....sounds like a good way to go.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JET951
why do you guys all buy the tial wastegate. i have installed both the tial and the lindsey racing wastegate and the linsdey is so much easier to install and it actually fits right. whereas the tial with the sfr adapters are a little out. and performance wise i would say they are the same. i would personally pay the exta to get a wastegate that fits properly.
Maybe its becuase we are all fools and you are the only smart one in the world.

also andial951 you say you were making 243rwhp with a 2.8 and the k27/6 i would have thought you would have more power than that
So would I but then we both would have been wrong.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:28 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Did I get that right - 50 horses by changing the exhaust?
There must have been som other change...
From theorie you would need to remap your chips because of increased flow at the exhaust side unless dme doesn't handle that by itself.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by turbinek
Did I get that right - 50 horses by changing the exhaust?
Not just the exhaust. He installed a proper wastegate too.

It doesn't matter what improvements you make to the car if the original wastegate is old and weak, leaking boost straight down the exhaust. He posted that previously his boost would tail off after4100rpm, now it's holding until at least 5500rpm
Old 03-16-2006, 04:36 PM
JET951
Drifting

i asked a reasonable question and it seems i hear a hint of sarcasm. do people on this forum hate lindsey racing? thats the impression i get. maybe its because they are not sponsers???
Old 03-16-2006, 04:49 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I think he gave a legitimate answer -- albeit with a touch of sarcasm.

We (Rennlisters) tend to be cheapskates and tend to go with the herd. I'm going with Tial because of the cost and I heard good recommendations on RL. But "facts" on RL are sometimes Rennlist myths created by people regurgitating what others have said -- and you might be the only person who actually compared the two. If you have more info to offer, please do!

FWIW, I love Lindsey products and don't hate them at all! Plus, other sources for Tial WG aren't sponsors either, only SFR is.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
JET951
Drifting

as i said before they were both identical in performace, which you would expect seeing that they are both dual port. they do the same job. i just had a pain fitting the tial. some of the bolts were too big and i needed to shorten them and i also had to drill the thread out of the tial wastegate itself. but the tial does look impressive, i will give it that. thanks for answering my question
Old 03-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Andy
Instructor

At the risk of attracting more sarcasm, I'm with you Jet, the fact is if your wastegate will hold the requested boost, any other wastegate holding the same will not give you any benefit. Andial's was not capable of doing that due to it's age and probably the added backpressure of a 2.8L exhaust. There are benefits to a Tial, they can react faster and can probably be controlled better, and they are lighter but hey, boost is boost as long as you're making it.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:39 PM
eastendr
Instructor

I had a LR DPW on my car for 3 years. I have just changed it for a Tial 46mm.

This is because I was getting an intermittent lack of control over boost above 17PSI. The swap to the Tial was to see if it was the wastegate that was responsible (currently, it seems it may have been - the next dyno runs will prove one way or another).

I believe the LR DPW is very well engineered, but mine may have ultimately cracked or become 'sticky' I cannot say definately if this is the case without stripping the wastegate or putting it on to another car.

I have to say that performance is better now, as inded it improved when the LRDPW / MBC replaced the standard wastegate. Perhaps I'll resurrect this thread in another 3 years to see how the Tial has held up ...

Rick.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

There have been some users on this forum that have expressed issues with the LR wastegate. Apparently a few have failed because of the re-use old stock parts that failed after Lindsey modified them. Not to mention, the LR wastegate is almost $100 more expensive and still requires a core.
Also the Tial, is regarded as the best WG on the market for our cars
Old 03-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

i asked a reasonable question and it seems i hear a hint of sarcasm. do people on this forum hate lindsey racing? thats the impression i get. maybe its because they are not sponsers???
Yes I was a little sarcastic.....my bad...........BUT I have absolutely nothing against Lindsey....in fact I stated that the 3" exhasut was from them......and I have purchased many other things from them as well.

As Josephsc said sometimes we go with the herd which is kind of what I did in this case...........I researched what everyone on Rennlist had to say about the Tial and LR and choose the Tial based on the research and the fact that many others had went with it.

What Lart said about the Tial vs the LR is bascially a few of the reasons why I went with the Tial.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eastendr
I had a LR DPW on my car for 3 years. I have just changed it for a Tial 46mm.

This is because I was getting an intermittent lack of control over boost above 17PSI. The swap to the Tial was to see if it was the wastegate that was responsible (currently, it seems it may have been - the next dyno runs will prove one way or another).

I believe the LR DPW is very well engineered, but mine may have ultimately cracked or become 'sticky' I cannot say definately if this is the case without stripping the wastegate or putting it on to another car.

I have to say that performance is better now, as inded it improved when the LRDPW / MBC replaced the standard wastegate. Perhaps I'll resurrect this thread in another 3 years to see how the Tial has held up ...

Rick.
I was wondering why you had changed yours-everyone seems to either choose the LR DP or the tial, few seem to change from one to the other, the tial 38 is a lot cheaper, but the LR DP is bigger, and surely a wastegate is fairly simple, it is the dual port characteristic that is the advantage?
Rod
Old 03-17-2006, 02:09 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

I'd definitely believe 50 hp from putting a new WG on. I've got Vitesse chips, tial 38mm, and stock k26/6 turbo. Thing pulls HARD and holds boost pretty much all the way to redline. I can't wait to get a bigger turbo on it over this summer though >

I hear all kinds of people talking about getting a new WG and not really being sure if its good to do, and yet they're spending $$$ on MAF's or cosmetics or w/e.. IMHO a new WG is one of the most essential mods on these cars, along with a good set of chips and a boost controller.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Good work Andial! Bet it feels better now! Bet it feels even better at 18psi on 100 octane.

Did you plot your a/f ratio on the dyno?

I may be the last guy running a Deltagate on a 951. They were "it" five years ago... Still working well too.... (but no tial!)...

Quick Reply: Gains from 3" exhaust (cat delete) and 38mm Tial