Can you NA a Turbo? UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 03:04 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
I have a stronger wastegate handy if you need one.
Send me a note of what you have and how much you want for it.

I found a huge vacuum leak. So that may be part of my lack of boost.

Either way my wastegate is one tired puppy.

Dan
Old 03-14-2006, 04:46 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Email sent with 4 pics attached, Dan
Old 05-23-2006, 03:14 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Turbo Engine in the NA car thread spured this update.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...8&page=1&pp=15

The 2 month update is as follows:
The wiring problem seems to be resolved with the engine harness change.
I still have an intermintent problem that I suspect is the DME overheating.

Driving impressions. Driving around town is a dream. The higher compression makes the low end torque significantly better. The 'On/OFF' feeling from off boost to onboost is much reduced. Autocrosses will be much easier to control.

I'm able to run about 12psi with no water injection or octane increase. 18psi wasn't a problem with about a 50/50 mix of 100 octane and 91 pump. Water injection isn't hooked up at the moment, but I suspect 15psi and maybe 18psi will be fine with pump gas.

I have a Knock Sence that shows an LED when it's getting knock. So I'm pretty sure I'm safe in that department.

So far, I'm fairly certain that any new engines that I build will include higher compression. Although, if I'm building them, I'll include forged Rods, Pistons and coatings to handle the boost better. But, we'll see how long this one lasts, maybe I'll just grab another NA engine and do it again.

More later..
Dan
Old 05-30-2006, 02:41 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update. At the autocross last weekend I ran about a 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 octane. Easily 95 octane. I was getting a bit of knock at about 10psi. Then the timing backed up and the knock didn't show up again as the boost increased to 12-14psi. I'm hoping when I get the water injection working again that the timing won't back up.

Is anyone using the SMT6 to adjust ignition timing?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Barry Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, you made virtually no "mods" to adapt the turbo setup to a NA block?
Your only issue to speak of was adapting the oil feed (and return?) for the turbo, but the rest was a straight swap?

And, the NA blocks of the 924 and 944 are the same alusil bores, correct?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:53 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

The blocks are the same in the later years for the 924S and 944. Early year 944 blocks have smaller oil passages. The guts are different. Rods and pistons. Heads are different, cam is slightly different (depending on who you talk to). Look at the old turbo AD pictures to see if I left anything out.
I used the 924S block, crank, rods and pistons. 951 head, 924S cam tower. Everything bolts together.
DanD
Old 05-30-2006, 01:33 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan,
Thats pretty interesting! I'd like to see what it puts down on a dyno around 15-18psi.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:35 PM
944CS
Drifting

your pistons are actually 9.7:1

FYI, I did some math awhile back and figured that something like 7-8 psi on 9.7:1 would yield the same compression as a stock Turbo car on stock boost, just to give you a little benchmark for power

and what type of knock sensing setup are you using? is it aftermarket or is it based on the stock 951 circuit?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:50 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It would seem that you can use these tips to turbocharge an NA as well. Like zero10 said though it would probably cost as much as a v8 swap. But just out of curiosity (since I don't know anything about 951s), what would be needed to make it work? Turbo, intercooler, exhaust piping, oil lines, etc. Is there any extra engine management needed? Does the turbocharger have coolant running through it?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:04 AM
AL951
Racer

It wouldn't cost that much. all you need is a wreck or blown 951 and change all the parts over. You could also get all the parts Heaven or something like that.

Regards,
AL
Old 05-31-2006, 02:49 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am very interested in getting it dynoed as well. With the bigger turbo, I would expect to be able to get more boost. Once I get back to 18psi, I'll give the dyno a try at 12, 15 and 18 psi.

Right now it runs real good at around 10psi. so if I'm stuck with that on pump gas and water injection, I'll be satisfied. Then pump up to race gas for competition.

I am running a .065 head gasket. minus .008 trim off the head, it's still about .012 thicker than stock, though it won't make much difference.

Arash, Al is right, you'll need quite a bit of stock 951 parts. Someone post a link to the Turbo Ad so we can see what is different. If you want to run more boost, or even stock boost, you'll need to have something to maintain A/F ratio and possibly water injection. Not to discourage you, because I like to encourage stepping out. But, start with a good car. Something that will be of value when you are done. Like nice paint, interior, upgrade suspension, brakes. There are quite a few NAs out there that would meet this criteria. If it's just an average car, then I would recommend finding a nice 951. Kinda like the one I have for sale....
Old 05-31-2006, 02:55 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Is there any extra engine management needed? Does the turbocharger have coolant running through it?
Turbos do have coolant lines, but there are Kolken turbos and others that don't use water cooling. It could be setup that way. I really recommend some sort of engine managment. SMT6 is a piggyback. Or stand alone. You're changing the amount of air going thru the engine, so fuel needs to be adjusted. Chips could be used, but you'll need someone to tweak them a few times to get them right. Then if at some time you want to add or remove boost, the A/F needs to be adjusted again.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:56 AM
AL951
Racer

Hey dan, How are you?

I need to go and visit you, so you can take me on a ride on the car. lol

so did you have fun at the autocross?

Regards,
AL
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's always fun.

But I just put Surge944 drop links on the rear. It acted like I put on a larger rear swaybar. Oversteer was pretty bad. Normally on a short course it pushes real bad. (one of the reasons I wanted to try the droplinks). Anyway, they work. I just need to get a bigger front swaybar.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:07 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm, I'm starting to understand the complications of tuning. My NA is pretty nice, but I don't think I'll be turbocharging it - I'm selling it. I'm moving to socal, but once there I was going to buy a "needs work" NA with plans of either a 951 or LS1 engine swap, and having this be my daily car / project.

I think I've seen that 951 advertisement - so that picture has all the parts that make the 951 different from the 944? Does it list them by name?

Quick Reply: Can you NA a Turbo? UPDATE