Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Update for work in progress (kind of long and need tips)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:46 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update for work in progress (kind of long and need tips)

Just finished removing the cylinder head, all went very well.

Now, the reason for changing the headgasket was that there was an oil leak coming from the cylinder head gasket, it's the original 20 year old one.

Now, when i removed the cylinder head, the gasket was stuck on the head, and not the block. After removing the gasket, i didn't find any signs of the regular wear i see here (holes in the gasket here and there). The gasket is thin, very thin, but i was quiet suprised it lasted this long, heck i think it would have lasted another couple of years

Anyways, i got a straight bar and a 0.05mm feeler gauge, i found no bends. But the head is going to the machine shop for repalcing the guides, checking the springs, valve lapping and so on, they will check the head for being flat.

The bores on cylinders 2 & 3 are perfect, absolutely perfect. No scores, no marks, nothing, just a clean shinning wall.

Here is the deal, when i removed the cylinder head, some sand/dirt fell into the bores and cooling area for the block. The cooling area is no big deal, since the coolant will be flushed, but how can i remove the dirt (minor IIRC) in the bores?

Basically, i saw some people who would sand down, or remove carbon deposits on the pistons, how would you remove them from the bores?

I will NOT turn the crank to check bores 1 & 4 (since they are at TDC) and risk having dirt get stuck between the rings for pistons 2 & 3, tips would be MUCH appreciated at this point.

One note, there is very little carbon deposits on the pistons and the combustion chamber, so that is another good sign, but i really would like to remove the dirt in the bores before turning the engine.

Pics will be up shortly (people love pics )
Old 03-09-2006, 08:55 PM
AL951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would'nt worry about it. just get some compress air and blow it off.

Regards,
AL
Old 03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AL951
I would'nt worry about it. just get some compress air and blow it off.

Regards,
AL
Great, the car is parked outside my apparmet complex in a huge parking space..........
Old 03-09-2006, 09:57 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

vacuum cleaner? I think you are overreacting about a little dirt, but it is good to be careful.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:12 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
The cooling area is no big deal, since the coolant will be flushed, but how can i remove the dirt (minor IIRC) in the bores?

Basically, i saw some people who would sand down, or remove carbon deposits on the pistons, how would you remove them from the bores?

I will NOT turn the crank to check bores 1 & 4 (since they are at TDC) and risk having dirt get stuck between the rings for pistons 2 & 3, tips would be MUCH appreciated at this point.

One note, there is very little carbon deposits on the pistons and the combustion chamber, so that is another good sign, but i really would like to remove the dirt in the bores before turning the engine.
Well, since it sounds like your engine is still mounted, dropping the pistons out probably won't be your easiest way of cleaning them, but it is the most efficient way being able to attack the carbon deposits with an angle and some leverage. Carb cleaner is very good at breaking down the carbon, but its not a thing thats easy to keep clean while you're doing it. As far as removing the small grains of dirt, you might want to try a microfiber cloth, that way no fibers get left in there. Good luck!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:14 PM
aventari
Instructor

In the absence of an air compressor I've used a vacuum cleaner and/or one of those cans of compressed air-- like keyboard cleaners or something.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Upon further investigation, i do have some score, very minor ones. They are so minor that i couldn't see them yesterday, no i can't feel them with my finger nail, so i am not worrying about it (i knew the bores were good, since my oil consumption was very low). But i know why those scores are there, when changing the spark plugs (a while ago) some dirt fell into the combustion chamber, i got lucky, i have seen serious damage to bores from this.

Now you know why i am over reacting to this
Old 03-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark944turbo
vacuum cleaner? I think you are overreacting about a little dirt, but it is good to be careful.
Have you ever been to Dubai? If you take a picture with the flash when the wind (very insignificate breeze) is blowing your pic is filled with reflections of sand floating in the air! ITS IN THE DESERT!

Even as westernized as Dubai/UAE is there is no changine the geographic location! We're talking baby powder kind of sand...the stuff gets EVERYWHERE!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:41 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guns951
Have you ever been to Dubai? If you take a picture with the flash when the wind (very insignificate breeze) is blowing your pic is filled with reflections of sand floating in the air! ITS IN THE DESERT!

Even as westernized as Dubai/UAE is there is no changine the geographic location! We're talking baby powder kind of sand...the stuff gets EVERYWHERE!
I know you were in Iraq, but did you come to Dubai? if so, when? we should have met up
Old 03-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Guns951
Race Car

In Afghanistan now, will be back through Dubai in mid May - I'll PM you the dates when I find out I'll buy you a beer as long as you take me for a ride
Old 03-10-2006, 08:50 AM
special tool
Banned

Hosrom - did you remove that head yourself?? I don't believe it, boy. Post some pics.
Much respect if it is true.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:09 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
Hosrom - did you remove that head yourself?? I don't believe it, boy. Post some pics.
Much respect if it is true.
James: Yes, i did the job myself. It is very straight forward, just lots of things to get out of the way, and messy

I lost my camera a few months back, really wish to take pictures and post them (it is amazing how much space there is when everything is removed). But i will find a camera to borrow from someone around here.

Oil cooler seals, front engine seals and lower balance shaft cover (and real balance shaft seal) are still on the agenda since the head is off, as well as a full rebuild of the cylinder head itself. Not to mention, some polishing and (maybe) painting going in there as well.

Guns: Let me know when you come by, the drink is on me, you are in MY town

Quick Reply: Update for work in progress (kind of long and need tips)