Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another Ghetto Catch Can In The Making - Thanks Special Tool - Picked Up The Parts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006 | 08:36 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Keith E.
I'm considering making one of these but I'm wondering.... if you're drawing vapor from the crankcase and adding a catch can to condense the oil vapor out to prevent it from going to the intake, then is there an ideal distance from the aos to locate the can? Seems like, if it's too close, the vapors would remain too hot for the oil to separate? But maybe it's just the opposite??? And would there be an ideal shape to optimize surface area? I could see making one like Imo000 out of some mild tube pretty easily but would smaller/larger diameter be better?
Mine is right up front - with outside air blowing directly onto it.
Old 03-12-2006 | 09:09 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Keith E.
I'm considering making one of these but I'm wondering.... if you're drawing vapor from the crankcase and adding a catch can to condense the oil vapor out to prevent it from going to the intake, then is there an ideal distance from the aos to locate the can? Seems like, if it's too close, the vapors would remain too hot for the oil to separate? But maybe it's just the opposite??? And would there be an ideal shape to optimize surface area? I could see making one like Imo000 out of some mild tube pretty easily but would smaller/larger diameter be better?
The length of the tube/s doesn't really matter. The blow by air velocity is too high and I don't think there is enough time for it to cool down at all. I'm not sure if you can go any larger than what I have since it's already 3.5"in dia and ~15" in height. I found the desing of this bafle while researching Google for a DIY catch can build.

Quick Reply: Another Ghetto Catch Can In The Making - Thanks Special Tool - Picked Up The Parts...