Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Parts all on

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 03:15 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts all on

Well got my car back with all the mods done. Not going to go thru them i am sure you guys have seen my other post. Anyway get up early thismorning to take a nice long drive and break in the new turbo. Drive about 30 miles and decide to stop. I open the hood and start the car to see how everything is. Looks ok. So i turn the motor off. When i do that i hear a funny noise coming from the turbo as it spools down. Go back to my mechanic, pull off the intake boot and look at the cool side compressor and the nut that holds it on is missing and the fans are all chewed up. found the nut in the intake tube. Thank god i was not boosting and sucked it in the intake ( if that can be done ). So end result, need new turbo ( this one making all kinds of noises) and 8 or so more hours to my mechanic to swap it out. My day sucks. My wife says, told you to leave the car alone. Oh well now i have to wait intill next thursday to get it swapped.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:22 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by JBrown
Well got my car back with all the mods done. Not going to go thru them i am sure you guys have seen my other post. Anyway get up early thismorning to take a nice long drive and break in the new turbo. Drive about 30 miles and decide to stop. I open the hood and start the car to see how everything is. Looks ok. So i turn the motor off. When i do that i hear a funny noise coming from the turbo as it spools down. Go back to my mechanic, pull off the intake boot and look at the cool side compressor and the nut that holds it on is missing and the fans are all chewed up. found the nut in the intake tube. Thank god i was not boosting and sucked it in the intake ( if that can be done ). So end result, need new turbo ( this one making all kinds of noises) and 8 or so more hours to my mechanic to swap it out. My day sucks. My wife says, told you to leave the car alone. Oh well now i have to wait intill next thursday to get it swapped.
sorry to hear the news. I know exactly how u feel with crap going wrong this is one reason why i decided to part my car out. If u are in need of a turbo check my auction out since there is a really nice one for sale. The bid is at 330 which is a steal when it cost almost $1300 and my turbo only has around 6k miles
Old 03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Thanks , This is a new ( rebuilt ) that is under waranty
Old 03-07-2006, 03:27 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by JBrown
Thanks , This is a new ( rebuilt ) that is under waranty
that is really good news then i thought u were going to be screwed out of that money. The crappy part though is u have to pay to put it back in
Old 03-07-2006, 04:39 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did the rebuild?
Old 03-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

that happened to my old K26/6. It tends to happen if your getting pops through the intake, or your diverter valve is no opening. It slows/stops the turbo so quickly that it will loosen the nut. You may just be a victim of a bonehead with a wrench, but I'd check on it just to make sure. you didn't have any running issues on that drive did you (lean specifically)
You probably have some clean up to do. I had to remove every singel piece of intake to the head and clean em... then I had to do it again.
Eyal
Old 03-07-2006, 05:56 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I recently saw an article that said there are 2 different thread types of k27 shafts. ccw and cw. They had problems with wheels coming off so they reversed the threads. Make sure yours counters the compressor rotation.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:09 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry for my ignorance but which nut is the one that gets loose?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:16 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

The car runs fine. I was breaking in the turbo so never went under boost. This is the second one out of 3 turbos that i have bought that did this. The first one was on my 911 turbo. Just rebuilt top to bottom motor and the nut cam off and jammed in the wheel and seazed up the turbo. I am very **** after i get some work done so i was babing the car and caught the problem early .
Old 03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

JBrown, Sorry to hear this. Make sure you have the K27 7200 series compressor..
Clean the IC, IC pipes, Intake.. Also do a leakdown on the engine just to make sure nothing went in..
Old 03-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lart951
Sorry for my ignorance but which nut is the one that gets loose?
center of the compressor, there is a nut. find a compressor pic, and you will see it. or you prolly have turbos lying around, check one!
Old 03-07-2006, 07:03 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
center of the compressor, there is a nut. find a compressor pic, and you will see it. or you prolly have turbos lying around, check one!
Thanks Eyal, I understand now, the nut that holds the turbine in place gets loose from improper bov function. I imagine that the turbine suffers from serious changes of speed that causes the nut to become loose.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Parts all on