Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Various mods and their ramifications

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Various mods and their ramifications

Another newbie question. I'm getting a few things done and am wondering whether if I am considering getting larger Turbo and MAF kit in the future does this affect what sort of chip I'm getting now? Should I hold off on the chip until I decide what I'm going to do in regards to other future mods. I'm getting a Tial 38 and Greddy II spec B ebc for the moment.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:25 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Many tuners that make chips can accomodate different maps on the same chip so you can continue to use your AFM until you buy the MAF.

Vitesse, I believe, can do this.

If you know what kind of turbo you are going to buy in the future, pick up the MAF and chips after the Tial and EBC. Just let the tuner know your plans so they can work with you.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't increase boost with the stock chip due to overboost protection. Your current mods won't help you much without chips to allow you to run a higher boost. If you are definitely planning to change turbos in the future, you might want to pick up a used set of chips, such as Autothority, as a stop-gap measure. Plenty of them around for cheap.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Do you need to change injectors if you uprate your turbo. I'm getting some work done soon which will have the car off the road for 2 weeks involving Clutch, Headgasket, plumbing, rebuild LSD, suspension upgrades etc Would it be the time to do Turbo and injector changes as well as MAF and Chip or are these things not so hard to access at a later date? If I need to I can do all but the costs are spiralling out of control for my first visit to mechanic!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 08:13 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“If I need to I can do all but the costs are spiraling out of control for my first visit to mechanic!!!”

Welcome to the Dark Side. Having a crack habit is cheaper. The slippery slope of increased horsepower is not cheap. I suggest that you pick a vendor (Vitesse Racing) and talk over all your future modifications with John. Upgrading your turbocharger generally requires that you up grade your injectors. Then there is the wastegate upgrade, EBC, then the exhaust, dyno tuning and oh do you want it to look pretty too? SS fuel lines, powder coating, color plug wires etc…… puff

Horsepower is like money. You can never have too much.puff puff
Old 02-26-2006, 01:53 AM
ANORXIC'51'
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol...definitely agree with the 'Never enough money/hp to satisfy' statement.

Although I think I came up with a solution so that my fiance doesnt put a cap on mods. Well, since I bought the car in 2004(car was 18 years old) and I was 23 at the end of '04..I told her I would stop modding once I got to the product of those two numbers...about 418 hp..

what I didnt discuss was that I want that to the wheels...at less than 20 psi

I can compromise...but, not really :-)

Quick Reply: Various mods and their ramifications