How to find an exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:27 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find an exhaust leak?

Hey all,

Anyone have any suggestions for a way to find an exhaust leak? I can hear one, I just can't locate it as it only occurs under load and I am not small enough to ride in the engione bay or under the car.

My two thoughts are 1) wastegate mess or 2) header.

I know that one can blow smoke into the exhaust system, but I don't have that equipment. I also won't be insuring the car for a few months.

Inspecting the headers is a PITA as they are covered. So what are the best steps to take to find the leak?

-Dana
Old 02-24-2006, 09:12 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

If it is in the headers... you are sort of screwed. To find it and repair it, you have to remove them.

If it is leaking somewhere else, you can use soapy water on a cold exhaust system to find leaks. You can also get a flexible tube and put one end to your ear. Take the other end and poke around where you think the leak is. When you run over the leak, you will hear it in the tube. That method requires you to be pretty much right on the leak, and for it to work well, you need your tube to be normal (perpendicular) to the hole.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:13 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Also look for carbon deposits around the header heat shields... that is also a dead giveaway... Or just bring your car to the CO get together soon, and we can help you find it!
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never had an exhaust leak on my 951, but have on a couple of other vehicles I've owned. The biggest tell tale signs were the carbon deposites. On my bronco, it had a black line going around the exhaust manifold, which contrasted nicely against the pinkish/brown rust. I also found one by feeling around all the joints, with my bare hands, right after starting the vehicle (use some common sense here, if it starts getting warm...stop! Its not worth getting a burn).
Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

grrr. koolbeenz beat me too it.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:06 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=cpt_koolbeenz]Also look for carbon deposits around the header heat shieldsQUOTE]

I see no carbon deposits anywhere on the headers or near the header flanges.

I will have to take a look around the WG. I guess its a good reason to start the car up this weekend (its been months).

-Dana
Old 02-25-2006, 12:03 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a homemade plate that seals the exhaust at the tip. Tapped into it is a 1/4 turn valve and air hose fitting. About 10psi off an air compressor and listen. Works realy well because there is no engine noise to deal with.

Quick Reply: How to find an exhaust leak?