Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial Wastegate installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:09 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Tial Wastegate installed!

Well, thanks again to Greg East for coming over and helping me install this thing. I believe he mentioned something about whoring out his wrenching talents, so you guys might want to contact him. Hehe.

I've been strategically buying parts a few weeks after him so he installs them on his car first, then comes over to my house to help me with the install on my car. Gotta plan!!

Taking out the old stock wastegate was definately worse than putting the Tial in. We ended up snapping 4 studs, but luckily they were all on the wastegate itself so it didn't matter. We were unfortunately unsuccessful in removing the snapped off nuts from my sockets. Looks like I need to either buy two new sockets or get a vise. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

I also had ALOT of fun drilling out the two threaded holes on the Tial wastegate itself. Suffice it to say I need to get a new sharp set of drill bits. I ended up busting out my dremel to finally finish off the job. In fact, Greg had the old wastegate out of my car about the same time I'd finished up with those two freaking *&$^#!!! holes on the Tial.

Installation actually went very well, mostly due to my Fabspeed 3" exhaust. Turns out the dump tube positioning on it is a little different than stock and gives more room to get the Tial up there and into position. Snugged everything down and all done!

Haven't had much of a chance to go drive the car, I'm watching my 10 month old daughter for the weekend. I did have a chance to install the new hood shocks and glove box supports I got this afternoon from Paragon tho. Oh, and I made it to the tire store to get my new Toyo RA-1's mounted up on my boxster wheels for the track season. Slowly making progress here...
Old 02-24-2006, 08:13 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good. I had the same difficulty when drilling out the Tial I had too. I went through so many bits.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:15 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I wish it'd come pre-drilled. That'd save a bunch of time...
Old 02-24-2006, 08:18 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
Yeah, I wish it'd come pre-drilled. That'd save a bunch of time...
But it's a universal part. There is no reason they would have it predrilled. There are not many cars that need adaptor plates like we do.

You sure have done a lot of work on your car in the past month. Should be a pretty good drive now.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:27 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I know, but myswiss or SFR or whomever you buy it from could drill it out for us.

Been busy getting it ready for the track season. So far I've installed the Vitesse MAF and 55# injectors, momo steering wheel and the Tial. I have to swap rollbars inside the car and put on a set of SS brake lines and I'm almost done.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:05 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Ok Doc, this time I'm going to school on you on the SS brake lines...

It was fun today, overall I thought it went well, it's always the little stuff that's irritating and unforseen. I'm still sort of scratching my head as to why the Tial went in so easily but I'm certainly not complaining!

Greg
Old 02-25-2006, 01:20 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good on ya' doc. I remember back to my Tial install days... like it was only yesterday.

Wait till you get the EBC dialed in!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:02 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I had to turn the ebc down when I installed the MAF, I fully expect to have to tweak it even more with the Tial in now.

Greg, lemme know if you wanna come over when I install the brake lines. They're pretty easy to go in, trick is to have flare nut wrenches so you don't strip the living crap outta the hose ends.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:34 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

BTW, I recently got a Tial from Tim @ SFR and it was already assembled with adaptor plates and the copper gaskets when it arrived. I didn't have to drill anything. I forgot about that.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:58 AM
eastendr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed from a LR DPW to a Tial 46mm. The F46 does not need adaptor plates to mount on to the x-over link pipe. I also dump the wastegate to atmosphere so just had to fabricate a short pipe to weld on to the adaptor plate that came in the Tial box.

Look Here and the next pages (72/ 73 / 74) for installation detail.

Apologies the navigation is a bit strange on the site at the moment but it's slow during a major upload of some areas.

HTH

Rick.

Quick Reply: Tial Wastegate installed!