Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

steam vent kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting stuff....... has a kinda "snake oil" feel about it to me.

Essentially creating circulating coolant "around" the thermostat ...... Don't like it
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
nize
Banned

if you're stating that this mod allows coolant to bypass the thermostat, you are incorrect.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:38 PM
2bridges
Drifting

If you ae saying it does not, than please explain? From bleed at back of head to ?????
Old 01-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Email them and ask. And tell them your suggestions too, can't hurt right?

Hehe, I think I'd mainly like to use AN fittings and expensive hose just to add more cool, shiny, expensive parts to the motor!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:03 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Hehe, I think I'd mainly like to use AN fittings and expensive hose just to add more cool, shiny, expensive parts to the motor!
Save for it the Maxima!

Old 05-11-2010, 03:49 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Question for all: I am building my own "kit" and am interested in what kind of line is used. Is it a Teflon based line? Does anyone know the Inner Diameter? Also I need to figure out what the Inner diameter of the return coolant line(where the T fitting goes into) is. Thanks in advance for your measuring skills!

Cheers,
Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't matter how carefully/completely you bleed your cooling system, with running it will "un-bleed" itself.
How?
Through the water pump shaft seal of course. Water pump seals are designed to seal against internal pressure, but as the pump is a centrifugal type there is actually a slight vacuum in the center of the impeller at high rpm and a small amount of air leaks in. This air stays in solution as long as the coolant is hot, but as soon as it cools off the air comes out of solution and forms bubbles. Guess where they rise to? It isn't an issue on most engines, but ours have a design flaw that traps air around the #4 combustion chamber.
Dave Lindsey's steam vent idea constantly bleeds this air (along with a minor flow of coolant) from around the #4 combustion chamber helping to prevent the most common gasket failure - failure of the fire ring as the engine is cooling down after hard running - caused by the chamber overheating and expanding due to the trapped air and squishing the gasket.
I'm running 18 psi on my track car with no gasket issues since I installed the kit.
Yes the tubing is "just" plastic, but which one? There are thousands of different resins to choose from.
What you're paying for when you buy the kit is the time Dave Lindsey put into figuring out and testing which material is the right choice for the intended service.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The Kit is not that expensive.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRACKIN951
Question for all: I am building my own "kit" and am interested in what kind of line is used. Is it a Teflon based line? Does anyone know the Inner Diameter? Also I need to figure out what the Inner diameter of the return coolant line(where the T fitting goes into) is. Thanks in advance for your measuring skills!

Cheers,
PTFE tube and nickle plated brass fittings i think will do you fine. I am using this on the sight glass for my coolant tank and they have held up very well. In reality, the price LR charges for there kit is really not all that bad.

McMaster part #'s..

51495K214
5239K232

Quick Reply: steam vent kit