Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A pillar gauge pods

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A pillar gauge pods

I know this has been beat to death but I'm trying to get some pics before I decide on an A pillar gauge pod.

I know Lindsey and Lotek have dual pods and 9xauto has duals as well as a single. After looking through old threads for about an hour and a half I still need some answers. I really don't want to give up the cubby under the radio and I'd if I have to put a gauge there I'd only want one and I would modify the cubby to just be smaller. Ideally I'd want a single pod on the A pillar and maybe one down in the cubby.

Does anyone have the single pod from 9xauto installed? If so please post a pic

Also, can anyone tell me what pod this is?

It looks like it sits further down on the pillar and is aimed better but the person that posted the pics (Machtig Turbo) has been banned.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

They look like other car options, that have been cut/heated to conform to the pillar. YOu can get a block off plate for the dual pod, believe me, you'll find a use for it. I would order from LR or
www.gaugepods.com

but you can get a Mustang single, cut/heat to work.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zeff,
What I did, and I got the idea from someone else on the list was to buy a 968 Cubby. It had a square clock on one side and a smaller cubby on the otherside. I put a lindsey MBC in the small cubby and I modified the clock side to fit a boost gauge. I didn't do a very good job with this (read: I used a file to cut out enough to fit the gauge in and didn't fill in the recess behind it) I've seen this done right with bondo and repainting the cubby. Just another option if you want to keep a small cubby and still be able to fit a gauge down there and have a very factory look.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Zeff
Pro

Originally Posted by Maciek
Zeff,
What I did, and I got the idea from someone else on the list was to buy a 968 Cubby. It had a square clock on one side and a smaller cubby on the otherside. I put a lindsey MBC in the small cubby and I modified the clock side to fit a boost gauge. I didn't do a very good job with this (read: I used a file to cut out enough to fit the gauge in and didn't fill in the recess behind it) I've seen this done right with bondo and repainting the cubby. Just another option if you want to keep a small cubby and still be able to fit a gauge down there and have a very factory look.
Do you have any pics of this? I'm planning on using an MBC but in the engine bay so I can keep the cubby.

Edit:

that is exactly what I want with a single a pillar. Where can I buy one of these?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

just an FYI, gauges down in the cubby are a pain to see while driving. As much as I like how I have my full digital Zeitronix display down there, its a pain at wot to move my eyes that far from the road, and try to see around the shift in 1st and 3rd gears. I'll be buying an A-pillar 2 pod to fit oil pressure and temp soon.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:06 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Depends on how often you will be looking at the gauge. If its just to set and check every so often - throw it in the glovebox. I will agree with Eyal, under the radio isnt the best location for a boost gauge. I have my Zeitronix wideband display and MBC under the radio, and Boost / Oil Temp in the a-pillar. Seems to work ok for me.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:30 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I moved my boost and AFR gauges from the a-pillar to under the radio because I thought it looked a bit Rice. However, it's very impractical to try to adjust the boost and drive. If I end up keeping the car, the boost gauge and a wideband will go back up to the A-pillar so I can see what the hell I'm doing.

Under the radio may look cleaner but it's not practical or safe, in my opinion....
Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Zeff,
I can post a pic of my setup, but its not great looking, it could be done a lot better. You can get that cubby off anyone with a 968 that wants to sell it. I got one for like ~$35 IIRC. It takes some work to get it to fit a gauge, but nothing difficult.

I also agree that it is a less than ideal spot for a boost gauge, but since I have a cabriolet and the A-arm is a different length, I can't put gauges in the lotec gauge pod. Also, having a car that open I'm not sure if I want gauges up there.

I'll try and post a pic later tonight.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Zeff
Pro

Ideally I'd have a single pillar pod and the 968 cubby as a pod. If you guys can post some better pics of the dual pillar pod, like straight on from your driving perspective I might go with a dual and the cubby.

I'm gonna be doing a chip in a couple months so I'm just looking at Boost and either water temp or oil pressure if I do the single pillar. If I do the dual pillar I'll get all 3 gauges.

thanks for the help
Old 02-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

pic of jwl interior, white gauges, dual pod

Old 02-22-2006, 11:57 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sam, what is that thing doing in vac???!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
Sam, what is that thing doing in vac???!!!
and no oil pressure
Old 02-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

that's temp...or he's got a leak at that pressure
Old 02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
that's temp...or he's got a leak at that pressure
lol, i could barely read the small letters, that's what happens when you get over 45.

Quick Reply: A pillar gauge pods