Scivision MAF kit Installation and initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't think it's the TPS as that was replaced not that long ago. The BOV has also been replaced with the 993TT part. The knock sensor is a possibility as is the KLR. Possible cold solder joint?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Tom--has he bypassed the cycling valve, or is it still connected? As I understand it a 'failed' CV will limit boost to the gauge-indicated 1.2 bar. It could be a symptom of the CV itself, or a signal from the KLR.

Good to see you posting on these forums again, btw.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Transaxle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
The knock sensor is a possibility as is the KLR. Possible cold solder joint?
There are several possible reasons for the limp mode. The blink code should give a hint. We had a car jumping into the limp mode caused by a defective clutch - sending knocking like vibrations to the knock sensor. It took some time to find that...

To test the health of the turbo system you could close the banjo bolt or remove the line to the wastegate for a short test drive. Both disables the boost control. If the car then builds >1 bar boost it is a KLR/CV problem. If it still do not build up boost you have to look for the turbo, a leak, the WG, the exhaust lines or the catalytic converter.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Transaxle
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken D
Tom--has he bypassed the cycling valve, or is it still connected? As I understand it a 'failed' CV will limit boost to the gauge-indicated 1.2 bar. It could be a symptom of the CV itself, or a signal from the KLR.

Good to see you posting on these forums again, btw.
Hi Ken,

with APE chips & BB I assume the CV to be still active. You are right - an open or defect CV would lead the boost directly to the spring of the WG - limiting the boost to 1.2-1.3 bar (absolute). It is the same the KLR does. It takes the CV line in limp mode to constant 0V.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The cycling valve is still installed. The main problem is "the problem" is not constant, but comes and goes at random when you stop or restart the car. Looks like the 1st step is still to check the fault codes as suggested.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

The cycling valve is still installed. The main problem is "the problem" is not constant, but comes and goes at random when you stop or restart the car. Looks like the 1st step is still to check the fault codes as suggested.
Hi Tom,

When the car is boosting normally, does it suddenly drop the boost when driving hard or does the boost suddenly not build any more under any circumstance?

From what you describe, the KLR is either instructing the cycling valve to vent the signal to the wastegate (limiting boost) or the cyling valve is getting switched when maximum boost is reached and then remaining there.

When you next get the problem, keep the engine running so the fault codes remain (if there are any) and use a blink tester as suggested (details on Lindsey Racing's website under the tech section).

Check the pressure line from the inlet to the KLR. Make sure this doesn't have oil in it and it's clear. Also, check the connections to the CV to make sure they are good. Try driving the car without the banjo bolt restrictor (but the regular banjo bolt installed) to see if it happens then (your boost levels will be a little lower).

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 03-10-2006, 04:06 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Default MAF kits - being sent out Saturday! [3/11]

Hi All,

Just a quick update for those that ordred a SciVision MAF Kit and were advised they would be here today (MAF computers arrived 2 hours ago). All orders will be shipped on Saturday to USA/Canada customers - track numbers will be issued later that morning. So, you'll have 'em next week!

Also, for those that are on back order, the next batch of MAF kits will be ready to send on Friday March 31st - this is 7 days earlier than originally advised.

So, with Spring finally making appearance - your MAF kit will be too! ;-)

Have a great day!

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 03-10-2006, 06:39 PM
AL951
Racer

That is great news!.........Thanks Andrew.

Regards,
AL
Old 03-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Regarding the fitting of these MAF kits to turbo cars... the stock location of the AFM seems to be at odds with what other tuners do with their MAF kits. All of them say to locate the MAF sensor as far away from the turbo as possible so turbulence doesn't affect the signal.

How does the SciVision kit deal with this "problem," if it indeed is a problem. Shouldn't be a problem with my S2... but on turbo cars?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:59 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been reading this thread with interest because my son has a 1989 944 Turbo. He's quite interested in the SciVision MAF but says his car does funny things with the boost now and he wonders whether he should try and troubleshoot the stock system first.

The symptoms are:
At times the boost won't go over 1.2 bar indicated on the stock gage, i.e., the "limp home" mode. At other times it will go up to about 1.85 (he has Autothority chips with banjo bolt restriction) but tends to fluctuate under WOT. Turning off the car and restarting sometimes fixes the problem... and at other times, causes the problem to appear, so it would seem initialization of the system does not always work correctly?

His car has about 105k miles and none of the stock boost components have ever been replaced. I guess if the problems are due to an intermittant contact in the AFM the MAF would cure that. I suppose the boost fluctuation could be caused by a sticky wastegate.

Any ideas what might be the problem? He'd like to get the MAF but feels it might introduce more variables to troubleshoot.

Thanks for any suggestions. As for me, I've already decided... I'm ordering one of these MAF units for my S2.
My bet is on a bad cycling valve!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Transaxle
Instructor

Regarding the fitting of these MAF kits to turbo cars... the stock location of the AFM seems to be at odds with what other tuners do with their MAF kits. All of them say to locate the MAF sensor as far away from the turbo as possible so turbulence doesn't affect the signal.

How does the SciVision kit deal with this "problem," if it indeed is a problem. Shouldn't be a problem with my S2... but on turbo cars?
Tom,

the Bosch HFM5 sensor is able to measure backflow. With the turbo the main problem is the opening of the BOV e.g. during gear shifts. The AFM just closes the flap to prevent backflow. With a MAF without a flap the air flows back to the air filter. The SciVision kit reads this backflow and includes it into the volume flow calculation.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:41 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by promax_motorsport
Hi All,

No release date or price yet on the KLR upgrade - it will be soon though (probably during April 2006). Additional testing is currently taking place and should conclude by the end of this month.

The upgrade will consist of modified software (for up to 1.2 bar boost), 3.0 bar FPR, wastegate shims and a 1.5 bar (22psi) MAP sensor for the KLR.

Further details, new web pages (for USD purchases) and pricing will be announced shortly.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
I am very excited about your development of the 1.5 bar sensor for the KLR to allow stock boost control, stock knock detection and stock temperature protection but at a higher boost level (1.2bar) using the SciVision MAF kit. I just read through this whole thread and am eager to hear when this will be ready.

Can you give us an update?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

My Scivision MAF kit has arrived and I am planning the install this weekend. I too have already expressed interest to Andrew about the 1.5bar chips.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:34 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Hi Tom,

No problems experienced in this respect so far. Also, any back flow across the SciVision MAF is handled by the SciVision MAF computer.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 04-20-2006, 05:36 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by danny951
I am very excited about your development of the 1.5 bar sensor for the KLR to allow stock boost control, stock knock detection and stock temperature protection but at a higher boost level (1.2bar) using the SciVision MAF kit. I just read through this whole thread and am eager to hear when this will be ready.

Can you give us an update?
Hi All,

The 1.2 bar chips and 1.5 bar MAP sensor for the KLR have been developed by SciVision. Currently, they are looking at ways to safeguard the intelectual copyright of this new software.

As soon as this has been addressed, it will be released.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com

Quick Reply: Scivision MAF kit Installation and initial impressions