Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blaszak's clutch kit opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I contacted Jimbo and he stated that he got his RSR disc from Patrick Motorsports, which I am waiting to hear back from. Markus replied to me about his Kevlar disc and stated that it is segmented, with no carbon or metallic weave, and will handle 400 ft/lbs max.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:08 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Yes - I use something similar to the 6 puc solid hub on that site.
But mine is copper/ceramic.

Jimbo1111 has found a disk tthat is BRONZE/CERAMIC. Thee bronze material is supposed to ease the engagement just slightly, yet retain the awesome friction (and heat management!!!!!!!!!!!) of the copper/ceramic.
If I was buying one now for a 951, I would probably get the one that Jimbo111 got.
I don't know where the hell he got it, however.
Send him a pm - hopefully he'll be in a good mood.....

Damn it, haven't even got the chance to install my copper/ceramic disc yet and already there's a new disc in town!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie944
I did a some more research and found an article in Turbo Magazine on clutches: Kevlar, for instance, is known for its insulating properties. As a friction material, this is a problem. Kevlar doesn't recover from overheating very fast because it doesn't transfer the heat off of the surface. The result is a material that can cook the mating surfaces (flywheel and pressure plate) and has a lower-than-stock coefficient of friction to boot. Yes, it lasts a long time if treated right, but it's not ideal.

Contradictory to the above I found this: http://www.southbendclutch.com/kevlar.html

I will have to find the friction coefficients of carbon type clutches and the Kevlar.
The formula for torque capacity is:

T = P x F x N x R
where:
T = torque in ft-lbs
P = pounds of clamping force
F = coefficient of friction
N = number of surfaces (generally 2)
R = radius of gyration (mean radius of the friction surface) in feet

As far as I know, clucth componenets have a ft-lb and not horsepower rating. Doesn't really matter what the HP output is, it's the torque that counts.

Quick Reply: Blaszak's clutch kit opinions