Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Alternator not charging????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:55 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i mean that if one the batt wires are crossing on another. and vise versa with the alt wire. it may be the cause of you batt loseing charge. you may also have a short some were. if i was you i would get a voltmeter from sears or harware store. they are pretty cheap.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:02 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

what would i do with the volt meter besides test the voltage of the battery
Old 02-15-2006, 05:17 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

You can also check to see if the alt is working or not. You can also check if there is a short in the system or not.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:42 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mortymower
Hi, I just bought a 1987 951, and when I test drove it every once in a while, and when it first started a belt would squel as i revved it. I figured alternator, compressor, or power steering. A week later the alternator guage suddenly dropped to 11 volts meaning that the alternator stopped charging. At the same time however the belt stopped squeeling. I was going to replace it but when i was driving to the store on a charged battery it started charging again when i cranked it. Unfortunately it stopped after i got home and recranked it. This leads me to believe it could just be a loose wire. ANY ideas??
Morty:

Welcome to the 951 world. From your descriptions, it sounds like something is amiss with your alternator or at the very least, your voltage regulator (VR). Your symptoms remind me of mine, which I ignored, and subsequently left me stranded 100 miles from home. In my case, the brushes on the VR were worn down and would make intermittent contact, leading to intermittent charging (like you).

Quick Reply: Alternator not charging????????