Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboX
I don't see why people are hating because he made the bumper look different
Probably because it doesnt help cooling, and he hacked up a bumper that porsche spent some time working on for a good coificient for no functional gain, only visuals.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

so what about people the buy Mille Miglias which are much heavier than stock wheels, that would only be a visual upgrade, and would not serve a performance upgrade at all? I don't see why visual upgrades are bad.

How can you say it doesnt help cooling, he gets twice the air flow through the radiator!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:47 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TurboX
so what about people the buy Mille Miglias which are much heavier than stock wheels, that would only be a visual upgrade, and would not serve a performance upgrade at all? I don't see why visual upgrades are bad.

How can you say it doesnt help cooling, he gets twice the air flow through the radiator!
Most mille miglias are heavy as hell, as you said, so nope. The larger inlet only helps cooling with the car moving. It won't do squat here in Fla. that it didn't already do before the mod. The extra "ram" air is only an improvement if it is specifically directed, otherwise it is just getting trapped under the hood. It must be directed to have the desired effect of increasing cooling, and it REALLY needs an exit path. In stop and go traffic, which we agree includes numerous stops, a bigger inlet hole won't do crap.
As I said, in a stop and go environment, you are much better of with a vented hood, to allow the ambient heat to escape as it rises.
At speed, if the air were directed properly through ducting in and out, it would then serve as an improvement to cooling.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:50 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If were to travel consistently say between 130 and 150, then I would need to worry about convection in the hood or trapped air. Plus the opening does not hurt the drag coeficient in the car, on the contrary, it more than likely lowers it if anything, if you really wanna talk about aerodynamics, then let's talk about how much lower MY drag coeficient is going to be driving at night with no pop-ups as opposed to all those with. The bigger inlet can actually supply more air than the two little fans in front of the engine, with less stress.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:58 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Plus the opening does not hurt the drag coeficient in the car, it more than likely lowers it if anything
I don't care what the car looks like but I'd love to see this suported.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wantsignificantly better aerodynamics and better cooling of the car, then complete revision of everything forward of the leading edge of the hood is in order.

In stock configuration, the bumper cover is only a little better-shaped than a brick, which it somewhat resembles. The pop up headlights are oversized and protrude into the slipstream, so make pretty good speed brakes and excellent radar reflectors.

Better to have designed a face for this car resembling the Carrera GT or other late Porsches, with conformal headlights/clear covers, as well as a proper vent for the IC cooling air.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

a pretty sweet next mod would be to put a cone filter for the intake down by that vent. you'd have ram air and make totally sweet power.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:19 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I thought the drag coff. of the 951 frontal area was one of the lowest in the industy...like .32 or something???
Old 02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

It was one of teh lowest when designed and I'm sure there are lower now. I would not describe it as brick like though. The front of a 67 Camaro is brick like....

Cutting up the front of the bumper will not improve aerodynamics nor will it help cool the intake charge (intercooler).
Old 02-16-2006, 03:49 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

sorry, but i am really not a fan of the mesh. it looks like an afterthought. i can alse agree w/ what several people have said re: cooling, only a reverse-duct in the hood (aka some way to create a low pressure area to pull air out from the IC / rad) will help cooling. cutting the factory bumper won't - or porsche would have done it when they sold the car
Old 02-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

there is no effective use of this. It won't provide any real extra cooling. You added drag for personal taste. Probably added lift as well... Way to out engineer those guys who spent countless hours in a windtunnel.
mesh doesn't belong on cars, it belongs back on the shelf at Home Depot.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:53 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Opinions, opinions, the CD is .33 by the way, .36 for the 944 .31 for the new Cayman S and .30 for the boxster for all those who don't know. When Porsche engineered it, they were also keeping in mind that cars in europe also carry tags up front, just a little wider and thinner, so the design had a lot to do with that issue, plus the owner of Promotion is also doing the same design but without the mesh, he is going to have a bigger intercooler, so as long as he approves it, that's all that matters, since it is his design originally...
Old 02-16-2006, 05:00 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Is this to accomodate a front mount intercooler on you car?
Old 02-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"I thought the drag coff. of the 951 frontal area was one of the lowest in the industy...like .32 or something???"

Well, the drag coefficient of the WHOLE CAR may be pretty good, but the NOSE itself ain't so hot. Anytime you put recessed lights, lumps & bumps, nooks & crannies, and various sharp angles on a body that goes through a fluid, your'e gonna get more drag than optimum. After all, if it were so great, why did they modify the nose of the 968, or make smooth and flowing lines on the newer 911-series and Carrera GT cars?

And, did you ever see a modern airplane (or especially sailplane) with nooks & crannies in its nose? This is a critical area for drag avoidance, and our cars could stand some improvement, including proper venting of the IC cooling flow.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:10 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Very nicely put Dash!

Quick Reply: Custom vented nose panel pics