Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Best turbo exhaust gas exit...

A horn is the best, like the end of a trumpet or trombone with the OD increasing from the turbo outlet. Without any pipe or a pipe that is bigger than the turbo outlet itself turbulence is created that blocks the flow out of the turbo and causes more backpressure than a pipe that is the same size as the turbo outlet.
I've been pondering the turbulence at the turbo outlet observation you made and will note that the exit flow from the turbine is completely rotational and turbulent when it leaves the turbine....if turbulence blocked the flow of the turbo, it wouldn't flow 'tall.

Blowing this turbulence down any pipe will only increase the pressure drop.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:11 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Janspeed (well respected tuning company here in the UK) were developing the exhaust on my car for essential styling they found putting a front box into the system increased the power and reduced the volume so louder isn't necessarily better (especially if you have track noise limits to beat),
Tony
Old 02-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Wes at Lindsey Racing did two dyno runs with his car, one with the LR 3 inch and another with LR 4 inch. If I remember correctly there wasn't as much of a big gain in HP or Torque as much as it moved the powerband 500-700 rpm lower. I think the runs were with a Sport Turbo and not the big honkin' Super75.
It didn't move the powerband, it extended it. So while the peak power didn't see much gain the average power went up, which is the most important.

And to answer another post, yes it was with different mufflers. But the 3" muffler they used is actually consindered to be better than the 4" muffler they used.

Quick Reply: Exhaust flow question with diagram