Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 04:12 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

We are dealing with a VR MAF chip/board that does not require nor allow for MAF signal modification (except for minor mods).

Again, we are trying to figure out how to disable the signal modification in the MafterBurner...
Old 01-29-2006, 04:13 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John - Please help me to understand something: Why keep the Mafterburner in place if the customer does not want the MAF signal massaged? Isn't that the only purpose of Mafterburner? Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The customer, ME ok, tried the VR chipboard with the Mafterburner. It did not work and we are wondering why, some proprietary function - not a problem, we just want to know so that John can know, Dave can know and we all can know. Also, if it can be changed to go 1:1...

Why? Trying something new together, that's it. I was one of the first, with Jim Lankford to try Tom C pistons - trying something new. I have an LR MAF, Mafterburner, and I was running GURU chips that Danno had made for me. Car was great, A/F ratios good; I was just trying something new - don't make it more than it is. Even the SMT 6 is recommended for small tuning changes...again, this is about what seems, the incompatibility of the two if it can be corrected.

We put old VR race chips in the race car, made less than a 3% change in a couple of cells and gained 20+ hp and almost 30# of torque. I was experimenting, bottom line. I'm not mad, not angry; this is about knowledge and how all of us advance the tuning of our cars together.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:00 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just trying to help...

Thought you could flatline the curve in the MafterBurner and get a 1:1 output, or at least adjust the whole flat line lean until you got a 1:1. Looking at my logs there are places I add voltage and places I subtract voltage between Vin and Vout. I really thought you could just flatline it and bump the adjustment until it does zero correction.

Maybe someone could adjust the MafterBurners curves to produce a 1:1, then save that curve. Then John could provide the curve with his package as a starting point for "fine adjustments" for his customers using the MafterBurner.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I tried everything with the slide bars, voltage mini bars, even messed with the drop down ignition, which I don't like to do, and nothing worked. Switched injectors, etc and I just couldn't get the car to lean out. See where you are adding and subtracting, the VR chip has already DONE that for you...that's why it will not work in it's present state. If I shorted the piggyback, it ran fine. It was a bit rich up top but we know why that was. Pull the shorting plug, put the piggyback into play and black smoke again. We'll get to culprit and if it won't work, no problem, my ex-wife of long ago didn't either.

This is also not to say that I may have had a "dohhhh" moment but I don't think so, as I've put in three of these, helped several more people, but hey, a fresh set of eyes never hurt anything when you have a bit of trouble. I would go out in the garage and mess with it but I'm down in South Padre trying to get my vessel back out to the GOM; we've just about gotten all the equipment back damaged from Rita, should be another couple of months to finish.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:06 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Clarification: The VR chip/board does not alter the signal, we use it as it comes from the MAF. The voltage/signal is interpreted in the software to figure out the exact flow (transfer function).. Then the DME uses the data for further processing.
Based on the above information, it appears that the MafterBurner raises the voltage an x% (Vin * 1.x% = Vout). The chip knows which MAF is out there, and interprets the modifed signal as actual flow (Vout is greater than Vin). Now the DME adds fuel as it thinks there is more flow than actual..
Old 01-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So again, why can't you pull the Mafterburner?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Because the A/F ratio wasn't Perfection. It was close, but not perfect that's why. You need the piggyback to make minor changes.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:31 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
So again, why can't you pull the Mafterburner?
Because he already has it, and he will be able to use is for fine tuning if needed. The AFR we use is very close to ideal, however we error on the rich side a bit as a safetu factor.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Because he already has it, and he will be able to use is for fine tuning if needed. The AFR we use is very close to ideal, however we error on the rich side a bit as a safetu factor.
John, So if I ever buy your chips, can I still use my power perfect to fine tune the car? I wont need the smt 6?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:15 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lart951
John, So if I ever buy your chips, can I still use my power perfect to fine tune the car? I wont need the smt 6?
The only way I can get you a MAF chip is for me to know the exact MAF you have (Calibration, Style, etc..) and injectors. I will get you very close to where you need to be... For fine tuning, , you can use whatever PiggyBack you want (for now no MafterBurner). As long as you can disable ALL signal mods in the PB, then make minor adjustments..

If you are not using a PB that you purchased from Vitesse, Vitesse will not offer you support in figuring your PB and no support in fine tuning.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:41 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the clarification guys. I hope you can figure that out, it would be nice for them to "work together"... I'm sure you won't be the only person who would like to use that combination.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me chime in here for a sec....

I got the chance to ride in a car with Vitesse equipment a while ago, and I was very impressed. My list of things to do includes swapping out my chips and my mafterburner (among other things) for the Vitesse equipment. However, money is always tight. If you guys discover how to get things set up so that the mafterburner will work correctly with the VR chip/board, please speak up. If I am able to use my mafterburner, that gets me significantly closer to where I want to be .
Old 01-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Epic2112
If you guys discover how to get things set up so that the mafterburner will work correctly with the VR chip/board, please speak up. If I am able to use my mafterburner, that gets me significantly closer to where I want to be .
That's exactly what we're trying to do; yes you can or no you can't, so that people can have the knowledge and make an informative decision. Both of these vendors are excellent at what they do and what they have acheived. If there is some proprietary information for their equipment, with all the hard work that has been put in by both, not a problem. I, I hope with others here, applaud them for their hard work in gaining safe and reliable performance for our cars. Gotta a little glitch between a couple of items and we hope to have an answer shortly. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by Ski; 01-30-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:26 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you guys did get the PiggyBack Vitesse offers, none of this would be an issue LOL (had to say it).

Last edited by fast951; 01-30-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: MafterBurner - Info