Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

help please - removing oil cooler (thermostat) housing from block

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:32 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help please - removing oil cooler (thermostat) housing from block

I'm trying to remove the oil cooler(thermostat) housing from the block. I've got all 4 bolts out, and can pull the housing about 1/8" or so away from the block with my hands, but it won't come out any surther than that. It feels like it's getting hung up on something (maybe seals somewhere?) I'm also doing the front seals/water pump/belts, so I have the water pump and lower balance chaft cover off. I still have the oil cooler lines attached at both ends (no way to get a wrench near the lines at the housing while installed), and thought with the extra room I have (because the H2O pump and balance shaft cover are off) I could work on gettng the lines off with the housing down/off the engine. It looks like there's enough play in the lines to accomplish this, but I could be wrong (anyone done this?).

Is there something I'm missing, or maybe a trick to this? Or should it just pull off? Maybe I have to have the oil cooler lines off? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Have you read through my oil thermostat procedure on my site (link below)? It lists all the stuff that needs to be removed, and tips for getting it off and for getting it back together right. If yours if coming out a bit, then I'm guessing you are just feeling the oil connection pipe inside -- it acts like a big dowel-pin. With the oil lines off, you get more play to turn and pull the housing off the oil pipe, but they can be a pain to remove.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:37 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks once again Tom. I guess I'm going to take the oil lines off (at the cooler) and then try again ..... and then do what you did in your write-up if I'm still having trouble (cut them).

And YES, your procedure is the one I'm using. Another great write-up (I've used some of your others too)!!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Weissach Vampire
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha Ha, funny, I just came from the garage with the EXACT same question as posted here. I couldn't get the oilcoolerhoses of today, will try again tomorrow, otherwise I guess I have to cut them...

Great info on your site Tom!

Quick Reply: help please - removing oil cooler (thermostat) housing from block